ambidex spool removal

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Re: ambidex spool removal

Post by Cat »

Hi Doug,
Um, there's always a little bit of play in the handle I've found. Can't help with the drag as I've never had to strip one down to the extent you have, but obviously it's dependent upon pressure against spring. I'm not sure which rotor nut you are referring to?
wait until you strip it down to the bearings...you should be able to balance a dozen on the end of a needle (and be aware that they prefer oil to grease)!
As Nobby has alluded to, get a good one, and they are good, but an average one may take much fettling to make good. I have two proverbial sewing machines, and one that I seem to constantly be playing with - spring, bail arm, etc, and I'm never quite happy.
Regards Cat

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Doug, it looks as if you have a spring washer missing from the clutch and a fiber washer missing from the top of the spool.

Here are the complete components shown in line. These are from an earlier reel but the clutch/spool cap is the same.
ImageImage

The spring washer goes inside the knurled cup before it all goes inside the adjuster cap. Note the outer spring has a tongue protruding, this fits in the groove of the adjuster cap.

If it is lined up properly the assembly will fit almost flush with the surface of the adjuster cap as shown below and the spring washer can be felt when you press on the centre part..

Hope this helps.
Wal.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Wal to the rescue, well done

DougK
Stickleback

Post by DougK »

thank you Wal, that makes a lot more sense..
this reel seems to be missing a fair few parts. Nothing I can't fix yet, thanks to all here..

the rotor nut is this black one,
ambidex rotor nut.jpg
if it is too tight then it presses on the green bushing above and the rotor turns stiffly.
if adjusted so the rotor spins freely without play, then the nut is not tight at all, and I fear it will work loose over time.
Typically this kind of adjustment will have a locking nut as well, which in my case I do not have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Doug, there should be two of those nuts, one locks against the other to prevent it slackening or tightening.

Wal.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”