ambidex spool removal

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
DougK
Stickleback

ambidex spool removal

Post by DougK »

hi, I have a new-to-me Ambidex that somehow found its way to the American side of the pond..
It was fished hard and put away wet, but the internals appear to be still in good nick.
However I can't get the spool off the shaft.. it looks like it should just pull off, I don't see any circlips or other retaining mechanisms. The spool rotates quite freely. Tried flooding it with oil and letting sit a couple days, tried heating, no luck yet.

Pics,
ambidex spool 1.jpg
ambidex spool 2.jpg
is there a trick ?

thanks, Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cat
Chub

Re: ambidex spool removal

Post by Cat »

Hi,
I had to think about that and take one of my own apart - a No2. It should just come off, there is no magic button (on either of my No2's or Mk Six). Does it rotate when the anti reverse is engaged? I assume it doesn't meaning it's seized.
What about applying some heat, shaft in a vice (splinted in wood as to not damage the shaft)?
Regards Cat

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It has become stuck with old dry oil. Stand the spool on a suitable sized tube (a short length of plastic waste pipe is ideal) and give the spindle a few taps with a soft faced mallet, this usually releases it.

Wal.

DougK
Stickleback

Post by DougK »

thanks guys.. wanted to check, before I broke out the hammers ;-)

will try a few gentle taps and see if it shakes anything loose..

DougK
Stickleback

Post by DougK »

Cat wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:39 pm Does it rotate when the anti reverse is engaged?
oddly enough it does. There seems to be a sleeve of some kind, between the shaft and the spool. This rotates with the shaft inside the spool.
There is lots of detritus in there, though, the oil flushed out a lot of bits.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Any luck?

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

DougK wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31 pm thanks guys.. wanted to check, before I broke out the hammers ;-)

will try a few gentle taps and see if it shakes anything loose..
If you are friendly with any engineers or motorcycle mechanics they may lend you a can of "freeze-spray". Warming the spool with a hot towel should expand it slightly, while spraying coolant on the shaft will cause it to contract a little.
Or you could try putting the lot in a freezer overnight and in the morning warming just the spool with a hot towel . .. :Scared: .....then reach for the hammers😮
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

DougK
Stickleback

Post by DougK »

success !
but it did take the rubber mallet.. also a rat's tail file, since the mallet moved the shaft down until it was flush with the spool, there it stuck again.
A bit of heat from the camping gas stove and a loving tap using the file as a sort of punch, freed it up.
Now to clean it all, reassemble with light oil, and take it fishing..

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Excellent! Well done, and enjoy.

DougK
Stickleback

Post by DougK »

all back together and running nicely now.
ambidex 1 sm.jpg
I find the handle seems to need a washer, which is not there. After cleaning up the gunk of ages there is just a tad of play in the handle on the shaft, even when the screws are tightened firmly.
Also the nut that adjusts the play in the rotor assembly, is single, and it seems to be it should be double. As it is, once adjusted there is nothing to keep it from moving again.
Reading the forum there are several posts which mention just exactly these issues.

think I'll fabricate a little plastic washer for the handle, and hope for the best on the rotor nut..

Also I confess I don't understand the drag at all, never seen anything like it. There was some rust on the spring in this one, oiled that and put a little grease on the bottom surface. It's remarkably smooth but not much adjustment in it.
Is this really all there is to the drag - a large washer with a rim holding a fixed spring, a knurled nut that fits into the middle of the spring ?

there aren't many cane casting rods on this side, plenty of baitcasting and fly but.
I may have to fish it on a glass rod from the 80s..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”