John Wilson Heritage Centrepin

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: John Wilson Heritage Centrepin

Post by Mark »

CWK wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:28 pm I was under the impression that Gary Mills manufactured these reels in his Redditch workshop for J W Young and Sons ....
That's what I thought but not 100%.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mark wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:52 pm
CWK wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:28 pm I was under the impression that Gary Mills manufactured these reels in his Redditch workshop for J W Young and Sons ....
That's what I thought but not 100%.
On my reel experience day with Gary, the subject of the Heritage came up as there where some bodies in a box! I bought one new as my first centrepin and mentioned to him that I never really took to it and, once I had tried a few other ‘pins, had realised it was because I didn’t like the line guard. I ended up swapping it with someone for a Rapidex 2. Let me just say that Gary failed to hide his look of disappointment.

I’m pleased to report that the centrepin he made for me is my favourite!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well chosen Mark. I always thought the John Wilson reel was the nicest of the modern Youngs reels. The colour and layout is just about perfect.
I think the Browning Revolver whould have looked so much nicer if it had been green too.

Wal.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:22 am Well chosen Mark. I always thought the John Wilson reel was the nicest of the modern Youngs reels. The colour and layout is just about perfect.
I think the Browning Revolver whould have looked so much nicer if it had been green too.

Wal.
What he said.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I see the website says they are made near Redditch but assembled in Tewksbury. Is that still correct? There was a flood of these about 5 years ago with transfers that fell off rather quickly, I had an idea they might have been foreign knock-offs....everyone and his grandad was selling them cheap on eBay.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”