First version Ambidex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
OhMyGoodness
Bleak

First version Ambidex

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Hi guys. I just bought an Ambidex which claimed to be a first version but I'm not sure if it's a fake or not.
Those who know about Ambidex will know what I'm talking about. For those who don't, when the Ambidex was first produced the original trial version had several features which distinguished it from later ones. These early reels were individually hand numbered with hand engravers in batches of 200. No idea how many batches. They were given a number in four places. 1. inside the RH removeable side plate. 2. Inside the body. 3. On the inside face of the gear wheel of the main handle shaft ( so not visible without striping this component out of the reel). 4. On the rear faace of the flyer (also needing complete removal of the internal gears, locknuts and flyer assembly.)
I have previosly owned two of these reels and know where to look and what to look for.
The reels can be spotted quite easily as 'possibles' because the main handle shaft has nuts at each end instead of the more usual spacers and screws. This is because the ends of the shaft have a male thread on them whilst later reels all have a female thread inside the ends of the shaft.
also the body of the reel is painted in the wrinkle finish paint wwhile the flyer was smooth finish, both black only.
My present reel is suspect because it only has numbers in the places I mentioned 1. and 2., but not in 3. or 4.
Also the number is greater than 200.
It is not known for a fact exactly how many batches were numbered. It is entirely possible that workers got a bit lazy towards the end of producing these first type reels and just numbered the two easiest to get two places.
I'm sure our own Ambidex man who is the expert will have some imput.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: First version Ambidex

Post by Nobby »

Ambidexman ( Rupe) is your man on these. I seem to recall him posting about different screws to hold the handle on possibly.....?????

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think the numbers are just to keep all the main parts together during assembly. There would have been quite a lot of hand finishing to parts during the first run of reels at least.
I have a Duco with the hex nuts on the drive shaft and it is numbered 89 so quite an early one.

Wal.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Wallys-Cast wrote: โ†‘Sat May 15, 2021 8:01 am I think the numbers are just to keep all the main parts together during assembly. There would have been quite a lot of hand finishing to parts during the first run of reels at least.
I have a Duco with the hex nuts on the drive shaft and it is numbered 89 so quite an early one.

Wal.
Your paint still looks pretty good. Have you checked the other two parts for numbers too?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes the paintwork is very nice. A very lightly used reel.

I haven't stripped this one so I don't know if there are any other numbered parts. But I did have one a few years back with a very low number on it. I cant find any pictures of it but from memory it was in the teens. 16 or 18 maybe.

I do have another Ambidex with the no 369 engraved on the inside of the sideplate and the main body so I wonder if they were numbered in batches or the numbers just rolled on. It would be interesting to see what other numbers are out there.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

Thank you for your kind comments above. I have to say that from the photographs shown above, in my opinion that reel is a (rarely seen) first version.

All of the identification points are met and despite the fact that I was told many years ago, that these early Ambidex Casting Reels were produced in batches of 200, at the height of their popularity it is possible that certain orders exceeded that figure.

I can say with some certainty that the engraved numbers themselves are not unique, they were numbered for that batch only - so there will be several reels out there bearing the same identification number. Despite that, I always wanted a number 1 and for personal reasons a number 21. :Chuckle:

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Ah... the master of the book has arrived and spoken lol. Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š.
Were you referring to my photos or those of wallys-cast?

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I just got another one. That's two in a week.
This is a Duco and has #36 on all four components. The one for the body isn't inside but on the plate facing the flyer!!
The reels got a bad paint job and the spool is wrong being sand color with serrations for the clicker so obviously off another reel. The handle dome nut is missing at one end of the shaft too.
Still, can't complain. Probably do a repaint one day.
Last edited by OhMyGoodness on Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Wallys-Cast wrote: โ†‘Sat May 15, 2021 2:03 pm Yes the paintwork is very nice. A very lightly used reel.

I haven't stripped this one so I don't know if there are any other numbered parts. But I did have one a few years back with a very low number on it. I cant find any pictures of it but from memory it was in the teens. 16 or 18 maybe.

I do have another Ambidex with the no 369 engraved on the inside of the sideplate and the main body so I wonder if they were numbered in batches or the numbers just rolled on. It would be interesting to see what other numbers are out there.

Funny how your early Duco has an alloy plate whilst mine is brass.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

What threads would that be for the dome nuts? I might try ordering some from ebay.

Return to โ€œJ. W. Young and Allcocks Reelsโ€