A very happy boy!

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: A very happy boy!

Post by Tonytoned »

Mitch300 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 am What did you think of the calendar at the back of `Tight Lines' in which each day was marked as either fair, good or best? It had no correlation
with any of my most successful days or my many blanks. As yet another 70's paper-round kid (was it a halfpenny a house a day back then?), the reels I drooled over were far out of my price range. Forty years later, when that online auction site came along and I had some disposable income, I couldn't resist buying a set of used Cardinals and Ambassadeurs from the 70's, that I'd never forgotten about.

G. B.
They were great, we used to check them before we went fishing, but once at the bank side we totally forgot and just enjoy being there. Goodness me, we were earning £1.55 per week, and 50p a week for good knows how long went to pay for a Mitchell Match I got from my mother's mail order shopping catalogue. Remember those!

:Hat:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Tonytoned wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am
Mitch300 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 am What did you think of the calendar at the back of `Tight Lines' in which each day was marked as either fair, good or best? It had no correlation
with any of my most successful days or my many blanks. As yet another 70's paper-round kid (was it a halfpenny a house a day back then?), the reels I drooled over were far out of my price range. Forty years later, when that online auction site came along and I had some disposable income, I couldn't resist buying a set of used Cardinals and Ambassadeurs from the 70's, that I'd never forgotten about.

G. B.
They were great, we used to check them before we went fishing, but once at the bank side we totally forgot and just enjoy being there. Goodness me, we were earning £1.55 per week, and 50p a week for good knows how long went to pay for a Mitchell Match I got from my mother's mail order shopping catalogue. Remember those!

yes I remember the mail order catalogues well. My mum used Traffords which had a good range of tackle including the Sealey Blue Match that I coveted longingly. Then I discovered that this rod was built on a Lerc blank so I bought a kit from Tom Watson instead.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Catfish.017 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 am
Tonytoned wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am

G. B.

yes I remember the mail order catalogues well. My mum used Traffords which had a good range of tackle including the Sealey Blue Match that I coveted longingly. Then I discovered that this rod was built on a Lerc blank so I bought a kit from Tom Watson instead.

:Thumb: Ahhhhhh! The good old days. They use to have some good fishing tackle in the mail order catalogues.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

PeteD wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:14 pm Oh how I wish I had kept all my Tight Lines catalogues. I must have had them all from about 1973 to 1979. All long gone now. It was a really good publication. So much more than just a product catalogue. Like most I spent many hours longing over the tackle in them.
My sentiments to Pete. But at least nowadays I can afford some of the ABU tackle.

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Tonytoned wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 am
PeteD wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:14 pm Oh how I wish I had kept all my Tight Lines catalogues. I must have had them all from about 1973 to 1979. All long gone now. It was a really good publication. So much more than just a product catalogue. Like most I spent many hours longing over the tackle in them.
My sentiments to Pete. But at least nowadays I can afford some of the ABU tackle.

Same here Tony. I have a very nice collection of Cardinal fixed spools that I never could have afforded back then. Mind you I had to pay considerably more for them 2nd hand than they were advertised for new back in those old catalogues :Confused:

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”