50 odd years worth

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: 50 odd years worth

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well the move went well and I've just started having a dig through these boxes.
And I really have got a job on my hands here.
I've found some very interesting bits
Signed trade letters from Peter Drennan
Lots of shooting catalogues one in particular from Sussex Armoury 1981 is very fascinating.
Lots of Webley stuff. I can imagine the carp and shooting bits being of more interest but I do have lots of match and sea catalogues as well.
I've been told I need to shift it all so any ideas chaps? Would it be worth me getting a table at Romsey do you think?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Ditch the wife and gain a tackle room or two.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

It seems there is a market for some of this stuff after a quick look on ebay :eyebrow:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Told you! :Wink: :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

:Thumb: :Hat:
RBTraditional wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:39 pm Told you! :Wink: :cheers:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I've finally managed to sift through everything and sorted the catalogues, pamphlets , and brochures
The earliest stuff seems to be early 80's maybe late 70's
There's 5 boxes of mixed which will go as a job lot
A pile of carp fishing related stuff which also might be sold as one lot
A fly fishing pile
An air gun and firearms pile
Knives and outdoor camping equipment pile.
And some brilliant random one off bits like this
1985 Polynet brochure which really caught my eye :drool:

I've had a great time looking through all this and will keep a couple of bits back but the rest will all be sold on the auction site very soon....

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Yes . I can see why the advert for Poly Net caught your eye. I mean of course that the quality of the material used to make the girl's bikini just jumps out at you! It is a pity she isn't wearing more of it ,perhaps a full-length poncho would've been more suitable for the wet conditions and certainly would have better shown the fabric's response to gores and stitching .
Seriously, l was involved in a family clearance involving magazines and trade catalogues a few years ago.
One thing l learned was that once they had been sorted into sensible batches either by subject or by dint of being issues of the same publication , was not to split the bundles.
Too many people wanted to cherry pick the rarest or most interesting editions-especially Christmas promotions and editions.Thus devaluing the rest of the bundle. If you do seperate the good stuff take this into account and charge a premium for the obviously good stuff.
Also take into account bigger ,cross-over markets. The tent and knife catalogues would appeal to bushcrafters,campers,fishermen hunters etc
Good luck with them .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Kev D wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:10 pm Yes . I can see why the advert for Poly Net caught your eye. I mean of course that the quality of the material used to make the girl's bikini just jumps out at you! It is a pity she isn't wearing more of it ,perhaps a full-length poncho would've been more suitable for the wet conditions and certainly would have better shown the fabric's response to gores and stitching .
Seriously, l was involved in a family clearance involving magazines and trade catalogues a few years ago.
One thing l learned was that once they had been sorted into sensible batches either by subject or by dint of being issues of the same publication , was not to split the bundles.
Too many people wanted to cherry pick the rarest or most interesting editions-especially Christmas promotions and editions.Thus devaluing the rest of the bundle. If you do seperate the good stuff take this into account and charge a premium for the obviously good stuff.
Also take into account bigger ,cross-over markets. The tent and knife catalogues would appeal to bushcrafters,campers,fishermen hunters etc
Good luck with them .
Thanks for the advice kev :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well I couldn't sell 5 boxes of mixed fishing catalogues for 1p ! :Hahaha:
They went unsold so off to the recycling centre unfortunately such a shame ...

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Can you not offer them up on here Terry? I've expressed an interest and I'm sure I'm not alone!

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”