50 odd years worth

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

50 odd years worth

Post by Bobthefloat »

A dear friend of mine closed his tackle shop after nearly 50 years of trading last year.
He gave me about ten boxes ( much to my wifes horror)
Of catalogues, pamphlets,guides ( some trade only)
Before Christmas I shall be getting them all out for a proper sort out. On inspection I think I can put them into
Carp, match, sea, course, hunting/shooting categories
Is there a market for such items ?
I was very pleased when he offered them to me thinking I could display alot of it in my fishing room when we move house very soon but I've just been told in no uncertain terms the guest bedroom is not going to be a fishing museum much to my disappointment :Cry:
Any ideas chaps?
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: 50 odd years worth

Post by RBTraditional »

I think you’re just going to have to tell her how it is mate......let me know how you get on! :Wink: :Chuckle:
Last edited by RBTraditional on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

That seems a bit unreasonable wanting the tackle room for a spare bedroom :shocked:
Sounds like you have grounds for a very nice big shed, lined and insulated for all that historical artifacts.
:Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have gone the shed route, once these British finches finish the moult they are all off to new homes, the cages can be sold and then the shed is mine, all mine....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Bob I'm sure there will be members interested in some or all of the info you've been given. I'd certainly be interested in seeing anything relating to Conoflex and Zziplex. You could scan the lot if you had the time. I'd scan your favourites, put them onto a stick drive and play it continuously on your TV. You'd soon get that shed built to spec!

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

There are also many items from companies that dont exist anymore and from what I've seen I've even got some invoices it's all quite interesting really.
Once I've categorised it all I should be able to find the bits people are interested in

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

TerrytheBob there's always a market for that kind of stuff. Maybe not a vastly profitable one but somebody somewhere will want it.

I used to borrow a trade catalogue from a small shop near me. I was staggered at the trade prices for items and the mark-up they made on such items as line and hooks. Ah to be young and naive again :Chuckle:

I may never be a collector but it would be fun just to trawl some of those old catalogues and relive those days.

Davethereplyer

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't think there's much money in this sort of stuff, but there is always facts hidden from us now to discover in them.

The exception would be trade only catalogues, for instance Allcocks did these ( not the famed Guides, but much bigger and thorough) in 1964 and 1965....there must be others out there but I've never seen a single one!

I think part of the reason for Allock's current popularity is the Guides, but the Catalogues provide us with so much more.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

If you have anything by E.Kerry (Black Gnat) or Henry Murton, I’ll be there like a ferret up a drainpipe...
The Watcher by the Bridge

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I think I might get a table at Romsey at some stage and let everyone have a dig through

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”