Intrepid 'Supreme' Leaflet circa 1957

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Intrepid 'Supreme' Leaflet circa 1957

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow TFF member I have received an owner's leaflet for the K. P. Morritt's Intrepid "Supreme." The reel was priced at 87/6 (£4. 6s. 0d ... or £4.30 in today's currency).

Interestingly, it give details of the use of this reel for sea angling ... but also shows other reels in their product range at the same time.

I can date it to 1957 or early 1958 as I have an advertisement of an advert from "Fishing Tackle Dealer" in September 1958 which gives the prices of the 'Standard' as 33/- and the 'De-Luxe' as 48/-, slightly higher than given on the leaflet.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Intrepid 'Supreme' Leaflet circa 1957

Post by Catfish.017 »

I bought a Supreme last year that had almost certainly been used for sea angling, both spools containing thick monofilament. As a lad I used a small Intrepid to cast four ounce watch leads off mumbles pier in search of dabs. After a few months the bail wire had cut a half inch groove through the flyer. Even with such obvious abuse I was provided with a free replacement in three days.such was the integrity of the Morritts guarantee

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

It's such a shame photobucket did what they did . There are are so many missing images now and not just in this forum but many others . I picked up a supreme today and searched for information . This would have been interesting to see . The big picture though is the loss of so much information .

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Keston wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 pm It's such a shame photobucket did what they did . There are are so many missing images now and not just in this forum but many others . I picked up a supreme today and searched for information . This would have been interesting to see . The big picture though is the loss of so much information .
Images now restored, Sir ... I hope that helps.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:10 pm
Keston wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 pm It's such a shame photobucket did what they did . There are are so many missing images now and not just in this forum but many others . I picked up a supreme today and searched for information . This would have been interesting to see . The big picture though is the loss of so much information .
Images now restored, Sir ... I hope that helps.
Thank you kindly A.C.
Good lubricating information there. If I can figure it out . I did open the case and redistribute the grease but in time will try to do it properly .
I read with interest the Supreme is well suited to Salt water fishing. I wonder what that might entail interns of protection for the reel ?
Thanks again
John

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I can tell you that that particular leaflet came with my own Intrepid Supreme bought in 1958 and because I no longer use it, it all resides safely with our Honourable Vice-President AC!
The reel was bought specifically for-and only ever used for saltwater work; float fishing for mackerel and garfish from rocks and piers in Summer and bottom fishing at night for whiting and anything else that came along in winter!

After each outing, it was just washed off under the tap and oiled when dry, occasionally replacing the grease on the internal gearing. The Supreme, along with the "Continental" were very popular reels indeed in the Westcountry at that time and probably used by 9 out of every 10 anglers for sea fishing. They did not have the refinements of Mitchell or Ambidex reels, but were very affordable, ruggedly built and reliable..in short, everything you could ever want from a reel.

£4-7s-6d was not exactly cheap at the time, but I bought mine on very easy monthly payments from Bennetts of Sheffield, via an Angling Times ad.
It never ever let me down, nor did I ever hear of one breaking down..

They were good servants to many anglers and that many are still in use bears testimony to that.

Regards from

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”