Hello From Western Australia!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Re: Hello From Western Australia!

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Isaac

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

I`m new here but I`ll say hello.

All the best

Lee

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Welcome to The Traditional Fishermen’s Forum...
You won’t be disappointed... wealth of information and will look forward to your post.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Welcome to the forum, Perth is great, I have been many times! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Duebel wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 am Welcome to the TFF, Isaac!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your father has left you a couple of nice reels and you're doing a great job, getting them running again. They're all centrepin reels, but not the free running ones. The two wooden ones might be smooth enough for trotting a float though. A couple of more detailed pictures might help identify them.
Thanks for the warm welcome, the smaller wooden one is my personal favourite and also the one that has been restored to as close to original condition as possible. I will post a closer set of pictures when I get home soon :)

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:39 am Commiserations on your terrible loss, 47 is no age to leave the world, but hearty congratulations on your engagement and the prospect of bringing new life.

DOn't worry too much about the tackle you own, traditional fishing is as much about approach and mindset as it is about the shiny desirable you take to the waterside. Some of those old reels will work just as well as the day they were bought.

Psychology and criminology eh? That'll put one or two on here on their toes.... but I won't mention Fredline by name :Chuckle:

Enjoy the forum, ask as many questions as you like and send us some pictures of your exploits. :Hat:
I couldn't agree more about the kit you take to the water - I'm big on repurposing and reusing, ultimately I will probably spend most of my time using things I can make myself - it makes the whole process that more enjoyable!

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Moley wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:47 am Is there much freshwater fishing out your way?

I remember Fred J Taylor mentioning perch or equivalent in some of the permanent Water Holes dotted around the outback between Perth and Broome. I wonder if they are still there?

Could be interesting as would lure fishing in the sea.

One thing that should always be in a Traditional Anglers Bag is a splendid Meat Pie for sustenance and tea for slurping. The rest of the tackle should be up to you and what gives you pleasure to use.

Does Hank Marvin still live in Perth?

Any way enough of my drivel and welcome and please just enjoy this site for what it really is; a retreat from the ever more unpleasant Modern World for like minded gentle souls seeking solace from such blaring intrusion.

As ever,....

Moley
I have spent most of my time fished coastal and whilst it was fun here and there - especially with a bag of fish and chips - I never found it to be as fulfilling as fresh water. As it turns out, we have a really big trout breeding program here in WA, and these fishery reserves are big valleys of scenic land in the bush that look super appealing - I thought that might be a good place to start! I have linked the information down below :)

As for tea and a meat pie - I couldn't agree more, it will be the first item in my bag!

https://recfishwest.org.au/news/get-tro ... hing-a-go/

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Duebel wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:25 pm
Kev D wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:26 am ...
And Issac, why not help make the International TFF Day even more International by joining in on the 15th of November?
Best wishes to you.
Kev
I had the idea, Kev. The problem is, Isaac can't see the "Places we want to visit as a group" section of TFF unless he's made at least 25 posts.
So Isaac, if you want to know, what the International Live From The Bank Day on November 15th is all about, hit your keyboard and make a couple of contributions to our wonderful forum. Ask as many questions as you like regarding your reels, which rod to look for, which pies tast best on the bank, which tea to prepare while fishing.

I've once been told by Australian tourists, who I met, when I was fishing right in the middle of the historic town centre of Bamberg, that you've got a bit of a carp problem in some waters down under. Can you tell us a little bit about that?
I'll do my best :)

As for your question, we do indeed have a carp problem in Oz, and it's quite bad. They became a problem in the 1960s I want to say, and ever since the government has been developing strategies to tackle the damage of their introduction.
The issue is that the carp upsets the bio-stability of the water it's living in. It consumes large amounts of resources from the middle of the food chain and this leads to native fish both smaller and larger suffering. Another big part of it is the carp actually modifies it's environment, it disturbs the mud and silt in the water and as it goes about its business it continually stirs these things up, with a density of carp population it leads to sunlight being unable to get to the life below the surface and you know how that turns out. As a pest specifies they are ranked close to the top of the list (under feral cats and cane toads).

I have included a picture that shows the ecological difference between an area with and without carp!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting though I dare say many of the aboriginal inhabitants think the same or worse of the colonial invaders Issac! The things that man has done in the name of 'progress'... how tragic that a 1st Nation people should become 3rd rate citizens in their own land....
I've not yet made it to Western Australia, instead concentrating my antipodean travels on NZ as any trout addict would and should. However during my 20s whilst living in NW London, I house shared with great group of Aussies. Among them was the kickboxing champion of WA, a feisty girl by the name of Kel - a truly amazing person and a real free spirit. I was big into my rugby but also studied martial arts so we'd set up a mat and train together each evening. I had twice her muscle mass or more, was near enough a foot taller with a far longer reach but if she chose could out spar me with typhoons of movement. She had lightning fast hands, great footwork and the most wicked roundhouse kick imaginable. She also happened to be a near ringer for Angelina Jolie but with the wear and tear of the school of tomboy knocks just about visible on her face. If pushed she undoubtedly had the speed, technique, stamina and heart to demolish 99.8% of blokes you could ever meet. I still regret not having the minerals to ask her to marry me even though I strongly suspect she would have said "get a grip ya drongo!" :Sun:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Liphook wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 am Interesting though I dare say many of the aboriginal inhabitants think the same or worse of the colonial invaders Issac! The things that man has done in the name of 'progress'... how tragic that a 1st Nation people should become 3rd rate citizens in their own land....
I've not yet made it to Western Australia, instead concentrating my antipodean travels on NZ as any trout addict would and should. However during my 20s whilst living in NW London, I house shared with great group of Aussies. Among them was the kickboxing champion of WA, a feisty girl by the name of Kel - a truly amazing person and a real free spirit. I was big into my rugby but also studied martial arts so we'd set up a mat and train together each evening. I had twice her muscle mass or more, was near enough a foot taller with a far longer reach but if she chose could out spar me with typhoons of movement. She had lightning fast hands, great footwork and the most wicked roundhouse kick imaginable. She also happened to be a near ringer for Angelina Jolie but with the wear and tear of the school of tomboy knocks just about visible on her face. If pushed she undoubtedly had the speed, technique, stamina and heart to demolish 99.8% of blokes you could ever meet. I still regret not having the minerals to ask her to marry me even though I strongly suspect she would have said "get a grip ya drongo!" :Sun:
I think I'm in love :eyebrow:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”