Hello From Western Australia!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Isaac
Stickleback

Hello From Western Australia!

Post by Isaac »

Hey everyone,

I have just joined after coming across your wonderful forums and I am excited to be here, I have always loved angling and everything that goes along with it, but my experience is limited in recent years due to the commitments of my life. I am very eager to ask questions, get answers, learn and share what I do with you all as from everything I have read so far as I browsed its a very welcoming community.

As for a bit about me, my name is Isaac and I am 24 living in Perth, Western Australia. I study at university and am about to complete degrees in both psychology and criminology. I have just recently proposed to my girlfriend (or, fiance now I guess!) and she has as much of a love for the outdoors and things in it as I do. On a more sombre note, just the other day my father passed away (47 years old) and that is what really prompted me to join your community. He was above all else an outdoorsman and he loved fishing and taught us all about it, and it hit me that I needed a way to really reconnect with him to move on so I decided to dedicate myself and my upcoming holidays to getting properly into angling again and the learning that goes along with it. More specifically, I have an interest in a more traditional style rather than what I was often exposed to when it comes to fishing. My family would often go out on the boat and would have multiple modern rods on the go in holders, draglines, that sort of thing and it felt absolutely skillless in all honestly - there was no heart to it, or respect. I prefer to use a simpler and older kit and find a river somewhere quiet and appreciate what I am doing and where I am.

I am as far away from educated or artisan when it comes to this topic so I am extra grateful for being accepted as I don't yet feel like I have much to add to the community. But if you will all entertain me for a while, I am eager to learn something new and maybe find something meaningful to help rebuild my life after recent events.

As a starting point, I wanted to share these reels with you which have been in my family for some time. They were in extremely poor condition as my father let their care go a bit, but I have restored them myself to what you can see now - I don't know much about them, and would love to know their make possibly, as well as maybe some recommendations on cane rods they could be paired with and if they are fly reels, or whatnot - as I said, don't know much about it!
(Photos are front & back)

MGs
Pike

Re: Hello From Western Australia!

Post by MGs »

A warm welcome to you
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Welcome, sorry I cannot help on the reels.

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Isaac!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your father has left you a couple of nice reels and you're doing a great job, getting them running again. They're all centrepin reels, but not the free running ones. The two wooden ones might be smooth enough for trotting a float though. A couple of more detailed pictures might help identify them.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Hello and welcome :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Isaac.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Welcome Isaac... pull up a chair and crack a cold one... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Good morning (it's morning here, 🙂) and welcome.
Those reels may not be collectors' pieces but have plenty of history and character . They would sit well on a rod with similar credentials. Nothing too fancy or expensive . The fish don't care if you are using a split cane rod hand built by a Master Craftsman or a tatty old bamboo and greenheart device that's probably spent long periods of its life neglected in a shed. Only to be pulled out once in a while to act as a starter rod for some lucky novice.
And Isaac, why not help make the International TFF Day even more International by joining in on the 15th of November?
Best wishes to you.
Kev
Last edited by Kev D on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”