Hello From Western Australia!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hello From Western Australia!

Post by Duebel »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:17 am
Liphook wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 am Interesting though I dare say many of the aboriginal inhabitants think the same or worse of the colonial invaders Issac! The things that man has done in the name of 'progress'... how tragic that a 1st Nation people should become 3rd rate citizens in their own land....
I've not yet made it to Western Australia, instead concentrating my antipodean travels on NZ as any trout addict would and should. However during my 20s whilst living in NW London, I house shared with great group of Aussies. Among them was the kickboxing champion of WA, a feisty girl by the name of Kel - a truly amazing person and a real free spirit. I was big into my rugby but also studied martial arts so we'd set up a mat and train together each evening. I had twice her muscle mass or more, was near enough a foot taller with a far longer reach but if she chose could out spar me with typhoons of movement. She had lightning fast hands, great footwork and the most wicked roundhouse kick imaginable. She also happened to be a near ringer for Angelina Jolie but with the wear and tear of the school of tomboy knocks just about visible on her face. If pushed she undoubtedly had the speed, technique, stamina and heart to demolish 99.8% of blokes you could ever meet. I still regret not having the minerals to ask her to marry me even though I strongly suspect she would have said "get a grip ya drongo!" :Sun:
I think I'm in love :eyebrow:
Me too! Now do we fight for her or would a fishing match be ok?
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Welcome!
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Get in the queue Dave :Sun:

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Welcome to the forum, Isaac.

Is it fish psychology you're studying, which could be very helpful here, or the human kind? If it's the human kind, maybe you can explain why we go fishing, and why we obsess about cane rods and long-discontinued centerpins. Is there a Freudian connection? I think you should put us out of our misery and explain it to us.

Great to have you on board,

G. B.

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Mitch300 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:59 am Welcome to the forum, Isaac.

Is it fish psychology you're studying, which could be very helpful here, or the human kind? If it's the human kind, maybe you can explain why we go fishing, and why we obsess about cane rods and long-discontinued centerpins. Is there a Freudian connection? I think you should put us out of our misery and explain it to us.

G. B.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am studying the human variety, have always had an interest in it.
As to why we love fishing, I imagine it has its roots in both its relaxing and cathartic nature, but also in the productiveness of the hobby. Catching something by your own skill validates a person and gives them a sense of goal-achievement, which is an important driving force within the human psyche. I would has it a guess that may be why - or it could be something to do with our mothers if you go down the Freudian pathway! :Chuckle:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Welcome Mate,
Nice introduction and sorry to hear about your dad... that’s sad, but you have some treasured memories.
And.... you have plans and that’s great... you have some old reels and you want to get fishing.
You might want to keep your eye out for some Australian Alvey! I collect them as well... great reels.
They come in wood to. Good old reels, I have 13 of them.
I have seen some nice Carp fishing photos in Australia...
So enjoy the TFF and take it easy..
Mr B
Ps... this link you might find interesting...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/176422189 ... =bookmarks
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Isaac wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:41 am
Mitch300 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:59 am Welcome to the forum, Isaac.

G. B.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am studying the human variety, have always had an interest in it.
As to why we love fishing, I imagine it has its roots in both its relaxing and cathartic nature, but also in the productiveness of the hobby. Catching something by your own skill validates a person and gives them a sense of goal-achievement, which is an important driving force within the human psyche. I would has it a guess that may be why - or it could be something to do with our mothers if you go down the Freudian pathway! :Chuckle:
My Mum's assertion that Freud's ideas on maternal influence were rubbish has always stayed with me....
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”