New Member introduction

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Rotrax
Rudd

New Member introduction

Post by Rotrax »

Hi, just been accepted as a member, thanks.

I am a 73 year old ex semi pro motorcycle racer who has been angling almost all his life. A Cockney from South of the river my grandmother bought me a toy fishing rod at 4 years old after finding me dangling a string off the end of a laundry stick on the staircase. I caught my first fish on Clapham Common, a small perch. On a bent pin, bamboo garden cane, medicine bottle cork and thread for line. The toy rod was long broken.....

I graduated to proper tackle when I took a paper round and had a few bob to spend. Paynes of Balham was my tackle shop, near my school. I still have - and regularly use - the Sealey Floatcaster de-luxe and Alcocks centre pin I got for my 12th birthday, supplied by said Paynes of Balham. Taken some good fish and good bags using that gear, including over 200 prime Roach in one session on the Arney River at Enniskillen.

I have fished all over the world, often as part of my motorbike racing gigs. I have caught Carp in France, Czech, Germany, Spain and the USA. The hardest fighting without doubt were long and skinny ten to fifteen pounders in what was a typical Salmon river near Manitwoc in Wisconsin. They fought like tigers. Unfortunately when the locals catch them they drag them up the bank and leave them to die. My wife and I were censured for returning the ones we caught! We also caught Channel Catfish, Bullhead Catfish and Smallmouth Bass.

I have and use the wicker basket supplied by the RNIB for seven shillings and sixpence, ordered at the 1957 boys and girls exibition at Olymia. Another birthday provided an Intrepid Elite, still in great working order and used frequently. I also have an Alcocks 'Lightcaster' and a Chapman 500. The Intrepid and my Mitchell 300 go well with those.

My personal bests are not too impressive considering the hours and care I have put in, a 31lb Common Carp, 7lb Tench, 6lb chub, 27lb pike and my favourite a 2lb 13oz Roach on a freelined lobworm from the bottom end of the River Ock in Abingdon. Just as the river was fineing down after a week of heavy November rain.

My wife - she is an acomplished angler - and I moved to South Oxfordshire in 1971 and have been living in this area since then. We have the Upper Thames, the Ock, Windrush, Thame, Pang and several other smaller streams like the Ginge Brook and the Winterbourne. All have surprising amounts of good fish if you can locate them. Plus, of course, many lakes, pools and pits of various types including heavily stocked commercial waters. It is possible to find natural waters and these are where we prefer to wet our lines.

Thats about it, I am enjoying looking through past threads and forums already.

Tom
Rudd

Re: New Member introduction

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

What a fabulous introduction Sir - and a hearty welcome to the TFF.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Welcome Sir... did you race with Bemsee...? If so I may have had your acquaintance in the kitty litter as I was a Bemsee Race Marshal for many years :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Rotrax
Rudd

Post by Rotrax »

Hi, I did race with Bemsee from time to time. I also worked for Arthur Wheeler the Bemsee long time President. Our local VMCC section had the Hodgins family from Bucknell as members. They were also long time Bemsee Marshals.

I was one of the lucky ones. I raced for 45 years non stop, 1963 to 2008. Never had too many big ones and was fortunate only to suffer a broken right arm - Brands Hatch 1979 - and a broken right collar bone and shoulder blade - Reading Speedway 1992. I was not in the kitty litter too often, but thanks for your work - without guys like you the riders would not get to strut their stuff!

On reflection it is very possible I stayed on because I was not going fast enough......................

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

What a great introduction welcome to the forum sir :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Rotrax!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

:welcome: To the forum :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wwelcome :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”