Thanks for the add

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
OldRod
Grayling

Thanks for the add

Post by OldRod »

Many thanks for allowing me to join the forum.
I fished a lot as a boy and as a young man, then life got in the way and time for fishing was a rare treat. Now retired and loving my more frequent fishing days again.
I now fish for roach and the smaller species with a 12ft Auger Spurmatch, with one of 4 useable centrepins I have (including a wooden starback).
For the tench and bigger fish I use a 10ft hollow glass rod I built myself when I was in the Army in the 70's. Sadly whhilst I was in the Army my Mum gave all my fishing tackle away!
I like to make and paint my own floats, and I love floatfishing the small ponds and lakes, of which, unfortunately there are not many that I know of where I live (North Yorkshire). I also like to river fish, mostly in my local river, the Aire.
Favourite species are roach, crucians, and tench (but all are welcome!)
I had a nice day's fishing last week with 2 TFF members, Peter Olko and David Banks.
I have just bought another old cane rod to restore, and am awaiting delivery.
Very pleased to have been accepted for membership, as I look forward to learning from the discussions, and hopefully joining in.
Wishing all members tight lines!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Thanks for the add

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum OldRod.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Many thanks Mark
Tight lines!

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, OldRod!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Welcome to the TFF
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Keith, it was very nice to fish competitively and enjoy the company of you and David (Banksy) at Elvington, following our initial and recent meet at Ravensfield and my success with hemp.

Just to let the members know, we choose Elvington (Lakeside fisheries) because it was somewhat mid-way between our 3 locations - Nottingham, Bridlington and Cargarve near Skipton, basically a 90 mile trip for us all and David and I were to hopefully instruct you in the more gentlemanly art of hemp and tare fishing.

The reports and write-ups proved most promising with roach and large roach at that being reported, plus vast nets of bream in addition, according to the owner with the fishery opening at 8:00 am.

Up early with excitement, 4 pints of hemp and 3 pints of tares prepared,5 cane rods and much more, I left at 5:30 am nicely cruising up the motorway, travelling at a sedate speed, fitted to my age, arriving at the water, 35 minutes early. I think I only passed 1 wheelchair going at 35mph, otherwise I travelled at 55mph, in case I got vertigo through going too fast and was passed by all modes of traffic.

Like most outings these days, I always forget something, which in this case was my sandwiches and flask. I cautiously asked the owner - a somewhat Jonny Kingdom character - where I might purchase a sandwich and some drinks and he directed me to "Rebeccas Kitchin", ( Rydal Garage, York YO41 4DY) just a mile up the road. If I hadn't had this breakfast, I think I would have committed suicide at the end of the day.

Refreshed, and entering the fishery and going to the 3 hotspots selected by the owner, David and I settled for the 2 outer swims with you in the middle. That made it easy for you to learn off us !!!!.

The all clear sounded to be followed by hammering of bank sticks, rods pods and buzz bars opposite side of the lake, with vast large bait baits resembling John Harper Trent barges speeding across the water, to deposit their contents to David's right and my left within about I would think 10 yards of our bank and 20 yards from our positions. Being gentleman, I think we all complained under our breath, whilst I missed 2 tare bites out of the first 4 casts, and you and David were both into roach, practically straight away. When the owner walked around soon after to collect our pennies, I mentioned the boats, to which he replied they should only go 1/2 way. Strange to report, that even as he was talking with them some 30 - 45 minutes later he could clearly see this activity with no attempt to stop them.

The day progressed with the slap of fish coming from my right, outstretched arms guiding landing nets under roach and bream, whilst I pondered on my float which hadn't gone under for 4 hours. As always a change of bait was required, bending down to examine what I had bought, I saw the Millwards Floatmaster rod, with a viscous bend indicating a fish coming towards you. Heart beating fast, ready for a cardiac arrest, I grabbed the rod handle striking into the giant, only to find, that I had no check of my wooden Slater latch, thus unravelling yards of line. The fish immediately changed direction and snagged me under a tree. 1 float lost.

The day progressed onwards, still only 2 bites on hemp, none on tares, while splash, splash to my right after fish after fish was landed. Well no need to teach you how to fish hemp and tares, and having nicked a few pellets off you, I did manage to catch 2 smallish bream. Back to the old mussel - in the hope of a mega bream - dip, bang, rod bent to the butt and I lost that large cat of 82lb which the owner was saying was responsible for the lack of roach in my swim. Much later still another rod bender, I couldn't stop despite playing what I thought might have been a large tench. This was turning into a mega day to be remembered when again, another rod bender and at long last perhaps the culprit species had been found - a large eel of about 3-4lbs. Well, soon arrived the end of the day, my position a clear 3rd (it sounds better than last), David a close 2nd last, but way in front "OLD ROD" with a moderate and very skilful angled net of roach and bream, outweighing I would think both Davids and my weight combined.

We bid farewell and went our separate ways, united in fishing friendship, perhaps vowing never to fish there again, but to re-kindle out friendship on waters new.

Congratulations on your membership of TFF and I look forward to your company again and to all who may pass by "Rebecca's Kitchen" her breakfast are well worth the money. Best bite of the day.

You can see how much I enjoyed the day - my longest post on TFF ever.
Last edited by Barbelseeker on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

What a fantastic report! I'd travel miles for this breakfast...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

A very warm welcome OldRod!! :Hat:

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes, and particularly to Barbelseeker, aka Peter, and Banksy (David). Peter your description on the day of the breakfast was understated - that would have fed all 3 of us! It was a really good day is all I can say, as your report is wonderfully comprehensive! That eel was a beautiful fish.
I have to put on record my appreciation of the guidance on hemp fishing (I had of course heard of it, but in practise new to me) which I knew was coming from an expert, having seen Peter's exploits the week before at Ravenfield, where he empited the lake of roach, lifting the prize of a bottle of whisky in the process!
My roach, nothing of any size, all came to hemp, and when it fell a little quiet, I tried pellet and the small bream came thick and fast.
A super day!
Tight linea all!

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”