2 Broken Rods

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Ollieg
Stickleback

2 Broken Rods

Post by Ollieg »

Hello, my name is Ollie and I have broken 2 of my late father's rods...
One rod, a Martin James REDDITCH, has broken the tip and top guide off.
The second, a HARDY Richard Walker Avon (Glass, I know) has a damaged top eye. This is the rod my father taught me with.

I would really like to repair both rods correctly, so I can use them again. Please see the attached photos and any advise is much appreciated.

Also if this post is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

So before I cut off the whipping and remove the eye from the Hardy rod I thought I would ask some people who know a lot more than me about how to repair it.
I have no idea how to fix the Martin James rod.

Ollieg
Stickleback

Re: 2 Broken Rods

Post by Ollieg »

I obviously don't know how to post photos... Took me ages to get that wrong.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Go to Full Editor and Preview and use this button here:

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ollieg
Stickleback

Post by Ollieg »

ImageImageImageImageImage

So obviously this is the split cane rod above. :-)

And this is the glass.
I have now removed the whipping and measured the tip at 2mm. I have ordered a Seymo 411 stand off threaded tip top. Which I think is correct.
ImageImage

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

If I have read the photos correctly, on your cane rod you will need to carefully use a hacksaw and cut the splintered cane off at the point where the split finishes. A new tip ring and perhaps re-arrange spacing of the other rings to create a shortened (and stiffer) rod section. Measure the diameter of the rod and ask here for anyone who may have a replacement tip ring to the right size.

On the glass rod that all looks good to replace with the Seymo ring. To me 2mm seems small so I wouldn’t be surprised if that doesn’t fit on arrival. If you have any problems post here or message me as I have a boxful of them in a bigger inside diameter.

Good luck!

Ollieg
Stickleback

Post by Ollieg »

Can the split not be bonded back together however the original was bonded? Or am I completely wrong about that.

I felt the 2mm rod eye was incorrect but I did use a micrometer. I think you may be right though. :-) Time will tell.

Is there a good guide on here about whipping?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Judging by the photo, it isn’t delamination (where the sections have come unstuck and which can be glued back) but instead they’re all split.

Lots of advice here about whipping if you have a search about!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Like Tengisol stated, the cane rod look like it has been crushed and splintered and will be best cut to a sound section and a new eye whipped on..

Might I comment about your drop bar across your gate. it would seem that a thin screwdriver or knife could be inserted between the two leaves of the gate and the bar lifted. The top bolt can easily be accessed from a small chair and reaching over from the other side. (yes, I know you might be able to padlock it)

A cover plate about 1 foot long screwed to one leaf of the gate, (Round headed bolts from the other side) to stop access to the bar - might prove invaluable, and lowering the top bolt might make access difficult from anybody from the other side.

Ollieg
Stickleback

Post by Ollieg »

Your absolutely right about the gate. :-) It's how I get in.
I will cut back the cane rod and I am reading up about whipping and what eye to get. Thanks for your reply and I will keep you all posted on this thread.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”