Good day to one and all

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Good day to one and all

Post by Watermole+ »

To make a hard and fast ruling on this is to walk on very thin ice my friend....!

Essentially, it depends on which side of the Tamar you happen to be and also, which side of that river you believe the origins lie.

Personally my thoughts are that it was probably on the east, but as Cornwall has been given special status, they have a hefty stake in making a claim.
As I am frequently in both counties, I adopt the policy of not making unnecessary waves.

“When in Rome....etc etc”

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Ah that rarest of commodities - common sense cream teas! Frankly my dears I do not give a damn either way, in fact I'd have two separate piles on a good scone - pronounced 'skon' - right now. Scone pronounced 'skoon' is somewhere completely different and has very little to do with baking, dairy or preserves. Scone pronounced 'skown' is Flemish for tart right? Yes it's bed time

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:19 am Ah that rarest of commodities - common sense cream teas! Frankly my dears I do not give a damn either way, in fact I'd have two separate piles on a good scone - pronounced 'skon' - right now. Scone pronounced 'skoon' is somewhere completely different and has very little to do with baking, dairy or preserves. Scone pronounced 'skown' is Flemish for tart right? Yes it's bed time
I hope you had a restful night Mr Liphook.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:19 am Ah that rarest of commodities - common sense cream teas! Frankly my dears I do not give a damn either way, in fact I'd have two separate piles on a good scone - pronounced 'skon' - right now. Scone pronounced 'skoon' is somewhere completely different and has very little to do with baking, dairy or preserves. Scone pronounced 'skown' is Flemish for tart right? Yes it's bed time
Thanks a lot, Liphook!
Now I finally know how to pronounce "scone" correctly. :whistle:

Let's see, what CreamTeaGirl's thoughts on that matter are :tea:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Scone should be pronounced as it is spelt, it's 'cone' with an 's' in front of it - obvious ennit. And jam then cream. Again, obvious, you cant spread jam on cream but you can dollop cream on jam.

This is a pointless debate anyway, we can't go out for a cream tea at the moment and I really, really want a cream tea and I want it NOW!

Sorry, lockdown madness has spread to Herefordshire :Scared:

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Welcome aboard :Hat:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

I adopted my own personal solution to this age old argument many years ago.

Cream, then jam and then another bloody big dollop of cream on top of that again!

I'm happy and no one else can tell me I have done it wrong. :Thumb:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”