Greetings from W Oxon!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Daltons
Ruffe

Greetings from W Oxon!

Post by Daltons »

Hello folks!
After a short period of 'lurking' I thought I'd do the decent thing and introduce myself.
An angler man and boy, my career started on a tributary of a tributary of the Exe in the Mid Devon village I grew up in. I coarse fished around the Exeter area with varying success between '69 and '80 before changing codes and taking up the fly rod full-time. Ultimately, I was lucky enough to have the honour of representing my country in International fly fishing matches on a few occasions.
Tiring of the hurly-burly of competitive fishing about 8 years ago, I've gradually returned to the coarse fishing fold - at least in winter- on the Thames and its tribs around my W Oxon home (only to regularly be told "You should have been here 40 years ago, mate." :) ....oh well....!).
I still thoroughly enjoy dry fly fishing for spotties especially on running water, but the chub and roach of the Thames drainage exert quite a hold on me come November....
I've recently acquired a Milwards Floatrover and Chapmans 500, and hope to gain the knowledge to make a stab at refurb/restoring them via the kindness of the knowledgeable doyens who inhabit these (virtual) pages.
Have also shelled out on a Rapidex Speedia and my first Mitchell 300 for 45 years! :clap: (why is it that when I turn the handle - in my head I can hear Noddy Holder in full roar!?? - Oh, the power of association!). Look forward to learning to use the pin properly as well :Thumb:
Good to be here!
"One thing we truly fish for is the occasion for self-congratulation" John Gierach - (The View From Rat Lake)

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Greetings from W Oxon!

Post by Pallenpool »

Welcome to the TFF Sir.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome aboard from North Oxfordshire, Daltons. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Welcome aboard Daltons. :Hat:

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

:welcome: to the forum :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Daltons.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Welcome indeed; personally I wouldn't bother looking to use the "pin properly". I gave up decades ago. The "pin" does largely what it wants. Line goes out one way or another, I get it back. Sorted !

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome aboard

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

A very warm welcome to you from neighbouring Buckinghamshire. Another disciple of the Chapman 500!!

Daltons
Ruffe

Post by Daltons »

Many thanks one and all! - Snape - do you ever dangle a line in the Cherwell?
"One thing we truly fish for is the occasion for self-congratulation" John Gierach - (The View From Rat Lake)

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”