Rubber butt button

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Highlander
Stickleback

Rubber butt button

Post by Highlander »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and am very much enjoying browsing this forum.

I'm based at Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness-side. The rumour is that we have a real rod-bender in our loch, though I've yet to tempt it with fly, spinner or worm. Most of my fishing is wild trout fishing with the fly, sometimes in our local rivers (the Enrick, Glass, etc.) but mainly on the lochs, including small hill lochs, the reasonably large local club water Loch Meikle (home of good trout, almost uncatchable back-end salmon, sizeable pike, and, over the last few years, an eruption of small perch), and, of course, Loch Ness for superb trout and salmon fishing. The loch also contains eels, pike and perch.

I have now given up salmon fishing. The Atlantic salmon is now under very serious stress and can well do without interference from fishermen, even when carefully released. I have kept a single-handed salmon rod and reel, and a modicum of flies, just in case there is a significant improvement in salmon numbers, but I'm not even crossing my fingers for that.

Apart from perch and pike, coarse fishing is hard to come by in the Highlands. There is, however, at Geddes, near Nairn, three former reservoirs, two of which are stocked with rainbow and blue trout. The third has been stocked with roach, perch and carp. The carp did not flourish very well up here. The proprietor blames otters and cormorants, but I suspect that our hard winters and late springs didn't help either. But, he tells me, the roach have done well, as have the perch. So one of these next days I'll get out the old 11ft whole and split-cane Priory, a Mitchell 314 or Trudex, and watch a float. There is very good grayling fishing some 100 miles or so to the south on the Tummel at Pitlochry, where is also to be found Loch Dunmore with its carp, tench, roach, pike and perch. Are they the most northern tench in Britain? I suspect so. Otherwise my coarse fishing is relegated to occasional visits to the family in Kent.

On a practical level, I'm wondering if anyone in the group has an old black rod button, of about an inch diameter, with the usual 3/8th BSF thread, that they might be prepared to sell to me, or tell me where I could find one. I lost one on the last day of last season, when I used a rod spear to facilitate changing flies. Whether I put it down and forgot to reconnect it, or it is in box of tackle, I can't be sure. I can find 1½" buttons on eBay, but they are out of proportion on the lightweight 9 ft, AFTM 5, fly rod in the picture. It would be nice to get the right thing.

With good fishes to you all.
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Rubber butt button

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome to the forum :Hat:

Highlander
Stickleback

Post by Highlander »

Thanks Bob!

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Welcome to the forum. You live in a beautiful place! :Hat:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Hi, I made a similar request recently, I bet someone will help :-)

Mick G
Minnow

Post by Mick G »

Hi There, welcome to the Forum.

I was last in your "local" some 20 years ago, but I would think it hasn't changed very much ?

I have a button I can let you have, and all you have to do is send me a PM, Private Message", with your address and a phone number, and there will be a jiffy bag on it's way to you. Please don't mention that unsavoury subject, Money !!!

Regards, and Tight Lines,

Mick G

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Highlander! I'm looking forward to reading about your trout fishing.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Welcome to the TFF Highlander. You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch I hope :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”