Hello from North Oxon!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Hello from North Oxon!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

:Hat: Welcome aboard Alan.

Wal.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Welcome aboard :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

RBTraditional wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:53 pm For the real vintage look Ted.... you could always try a sun dial..... :Chuckle:
I thought about that already Rob, but I can’t fit a strap to the base! :surrender:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Albion wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 am Hi all

Many thanks for letting me join your wonderful forum. I am absolutely brand new to fishing, but being a traditionalist in most things (think Tideway dinghy, Vapalux lamp, Atco Light 14’’ mower, Seagull outboard...) I am only interested in using traditional tackle (new and vintage) wherever possible. To that end, I am visiting a chap called Mr Edward Barder on the 23rd to pick up a little Christmas present for myself in the way of a ‘’The Bishop’’ carp rod and Mr Chris Lythe has agreed to make a reel to suit! Mr Paul Cook is currently working on some floats and bank sticks and I have an early Ealing B. James MK IV Avon Rod, refurbished by Paul and an Allcock Aerial Match, 1939 waiting for collection and Mr Lezsek Delag has kindly added me to his list of clients for his update of the Aerial Match.

I have no doubt that this list will grow over time, so just wanted to say, I can’t think of a better way to spend my hard-earned! Very much looking forward to getting out and fishing and sharing my experiences with all of you.

Kind regards

Alan
Hi Alan, welcome to the house of fun.
A question, for someone who is absolutely brand new to fishing who composed the tackle wish list from heaven?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Fredline wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:49 pm
Albion wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 am Hi all

Many thanks for letting me join your wonderful forum. I am absolutely brand new to fishing, but being a traditionalist in most things (think Tideway dinghy, Vapalux lamp, Atco Light 14’’ mower, Seagull outboard...) I am only interested in using traditional tackle (new and vintage) wherever possible. To that end, I am visiting a chap called Mr Edward Barder on the 23rd to pick up a little Christmas present for myself in the way of a ‘’The Bishop’’ carp rod and Mr Chris Lythe has agreed to make a reel to suit! Mr Paul Cook is currently working on some floats and bank sticks and I have an early Ealing B. James MK IV Avon Rod, refurbished by Paul and an Allcock Aerial Match, 1939 waiting for collection and Mr Lezsek Delag has kindly added me to his list of clients for his update of the Aerial Match.

I have no doubt that this list will grow over time, so just wanted to say, I can’t think of a better way to spend my hard-earned! Very much looking forward to getting out and fishing and sharing my experiences with all of you.

Kind regards

Alan
Hi Alan, welcome to the house of fun.
A question, for someone who is absolutely brand new to fishing who composed the tackle wish list from heaven?

A great question. It actually began with following a chap called Nigel Hudson aka ‘’Fennell’’ Hudson quite a few years ago now, as I am a countryman by nature, if not by upbringing and he introduced me to the concept of fishing with traditional tackle and people who still make it. That led to Chris Yates and Edward Barder, from EB it led to Chris Lythe, centre-pins led me to this forum which led me to Paul Cook and Leszek Delag and Richard Walker and the vintage tackle website and the rest was pretty easy to put together. The power of the internet I suppose in a nutshell...and people like yourself on this forum happy to share their hobby with others!

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Welcome to the forum, Alan.

That is quite a list of very exclusive tackle! And, if I may say so, a very shrewd investment for an active retirement. But we really must get you involved in making your own floats, or restoring a budget-priced Marco cane rod or two or a wobbly Speedia, if only to help you appreciate the true beauty of your tackle. If you're brand new to fishing, I strongly recommend organizing an outing or two with some local forum members, as that Wallis cast is not as easy as it might seem and a little guidance can help avoid an awful lot of tangles.

It's a pleasure to have you on board, and we look forward your future posts.

G. B.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Alan!

I'm very much looking forward to reading about your first steps into fishing and of course to seeing pictures of your precious rods and reels.
Remember, it's not the tackle that catches the fish, it's the angler who knows how to use it. The TFF is a great source of knowledge and we're all happy to share it.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Mitch300 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:40 am Welcome to the forum, Alan.

That is quite a list of very exclusive tackle! And, if I may say so, a very shrewd investment for an active retirement. But we really must get you involved in making your own floats, or restoring a budget-priced Marco cane rod or two or a wobbly Speedia, if only to help you appreciate the true beauty of your tackle. If you're brand new to fishing, I strongly recommend organizing an outing or two with some local forum members, as that Wallis cast is not as easy as it might seem and a little guidance can help avoid an awful lot of tangles.

It's a pleasure to have you on board, and we look forward your future posts.

G. B.
Many thanks Mitch

Fortunately a forum member of long standing has already been kind enough to offer to show me the ropes and you can be assured I will look forward to taking him up on his offer. There is a great deal to learn, which is quite exciting at my time of life!

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

A very warm welcome to you Alan! Where does your heart lie with regards to rivers, stillwaters, or are you game for both? Wherever you choose to fish I wish you success, happiness and that certain peace of mind that using traditional tackle brings. I think I can speak for all of us that we look forward to hearing of your exploits and photos of the leviathans that will queue up to grace your landing net!!!!

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Alan

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”