The famous lift method - Size of float and shot

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Trotter
Bleak

The famous lift method - Size of float and shot

Post by Trotter »

Good afternoon,

I've read a lot about the lift method. Recently the book "Catch tench" by John Wilson, who describes the lift method very detailed in two figures:

Now it seems, I'm a blockhead. On the line there's just the float (fixed by a silicone tube), one single shot and the hook. Right? The size of the shot varies between SGG and No.1. Does this mean that I have to choose a float which can't carry the size of the chosen shot? If my float carries more than a SGG shot, can I add shots on the line between float and hook or does this impair the functionality?

Is there a maximum depth for the lift method?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Andy

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The famous lift method - Size of float and shot

Post by Santiago »

The point is, is to place all the shot near the hook, so all the shot is on the bottom and the float is set at the correct depth. This way, a bite will either cause the float to lift dramatically, or go under. So there's no point in putting shot anywhere else on the line, as this will reduce bite indication. And it doesn't really matter if the shot is more than sufficient to sink the float, because the float is set at the correct depth and all the shot is resting on the bottom!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

The float doesn't necessarily have to be set at the correct depth - in fact it is usually over-depth. Once the shot has settled on the bed, the float will be flat on the surface. The idea is to tighten up by winding slowly at the reel. The shot stays anchored but the float will be pulled diagonally toward you and will eventually cock.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Use a length of peacock quill add your given size shot ,it could be a ssg or a BB or even a number 1.
You want the shot to just sink the float.
The best way it to keep triming the float with scissors,just cut the top untill you get it bang on.
it's a close range method I try to use as light a set up as possible.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What you want to aim for is a fine balance between the shot that rests on the bottom and its ability to sink the tip down to just above the surface. When the fish takes the bait and the shot rises the floats buoyancy is helping to lift it off the bottom to some extent, the fish does not get spooked. If you have too much weight on the bottom as the fish takes the bait it feels an abnormal weight and can tend to drop it, especially on hard fished waters. I nearly always strike on a rising float as this is when the fish has the bait in its mouth and you have more chance of contact.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Reeding has it right to much weight and the fish tend to drop the bait.
It's a critical balance get it right and it's magic.
My favourite way to fish for tench and carp.
There is another way you can do it involving an antenna float but the peacock float method is better.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I agree. The original method as practiced by the Taylor Bros may have used a single SSG on a peacock quill trimmed to length but that's not compulsory. The float doeasn't have to be flat: as long as the final shot has enough weight to sink about 3-4" of the float stem that's good enough. If you can't spot that amount of lift there's something wrong. Those windbeaters with the bulb and very narrow stem (which does not displace much water) are ideal. It is fished over depth and then drawn back (partly to avoid false bites caused by the fish brushing the line). We've had a certain amount of argument here about whether or not the buoyancy of the lift reduces the apparent load to the fish of the final shot and I'm agnostic on if it does or if it matters but it's a reasonable precaution to reduce the weight of the final shot. I've never been able to get much lower than AA anyway.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The lightest I have managed to fish is a single number 4, but conditions have to be perfect .
My take on it is the fish definitely feel the shot weight so it pays to fish as light as you can.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I agree with the previous comment. Tench can get very educated and cute. There's a minimum line strength you can use in order to land the fish but with educated fish the more delicate the rig the better. I've found light pole type rigs very efective but there's no doubt that fish get caught on bolt rigs which I suspect results in quite a few unseen rejections before the hook catches or a fish makes a mistake.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I tried this method at the weekend as I had a bit of a cross wind. I missed quite a few bites at first with the weight about 1" away from the hook then it was moved up against the knot then they were all hooked in the top lip.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Lift Method”