out with the wheat again

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

out with the wheat again

Post by TrentFisher »

I had a chance to get out again today for a another session using wheat on the Trent.
I did have a quick look at my local stretch this morning to find it carrying a little extra water and some colour.
This didn't put me off as I had caught in similar conditions over the years.

I arrived at around 2.00pm and settled into the long glide swim I had previously fished catching a nice number of chub.
After a slow start and bumping off two fish,the bites started to come .
The result was a steady flow of roach up to 12oz.
All in fabulous condition.
During the session I had some run through's with punched bread and picked up a bonus bream of around 3lb.
The punched bread also accounted for some nice dace and a couple of better roach too.

Throughout the session the wheat was trickled in along with hemp and this kept the bites coming apart from one quiet spell.

I called it a day at around 7pm with around forty fish accounted for.

This bait has more to offer and I will be planning further sessions .It was interesting to note only one chub today.

So far my five sessions on the Trent has resulted in variety of species for very little outlay.(I get about two pints of bait from a mug full of seed this is prepared in a flask)

I will keep you posted.

All the best
Nige.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: out with the wheat again

Post by Barbelseeker »

Well done Nige.

I took some wheat to a farmers pond last week, and had a few roach (about 20) and about 6 crucians. Took about 15 minutes to get first bite, and 1 hour for them to settle - but an enjoyable morning. Have you tried pearl barley. You bought a few memories back about fishing punched bread on the Trent - had a few enjoyable days with that.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Nice to hear of the old favourite still being used to good effect. :Thumb:

I remember seeing tins of stewed wheat in tackle shops in the 1960's but it seemed to lose out to maggots over the following years. Over here in France a few roach anglers use a brand of wheat called Ebly.

Ebly grains are larger than normal wheat and sold mainly as a salad ingredient. They take around ten minutes to cook for eating, but I reduce that to just over 8 minutes to use as bait. Worth looking out for in supermarkets.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Used Ebly once when in France - unfortunately with little success! I wonder what other wheat/barley type baits could be successful? Bulgar?

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Pearl barley is the obvious alternative along with macaroni. But Ebly and ordinary wheat has worked well for me on smaller waters for roach, small carp and carassins.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Barbelseeker wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 am Well done Nige.

I took some wheat to a farmers pond last week, and had a few roach (about 20) and about 6 crucians. Took about 15 minutes to get first bite, and 1 hour for them to settle - but an enjoyable morning. Have you tried pearl barley. You bought a few memories back about fishing punched bread on the Trent - had a few enjoyable days with that.
I haven't tried pearl barley so far this season.In the past I have had some good days on the Trent taking roach.chub and bream.
The punched bread has worked very well for me over recent seasons .
Warburtons medium slice for the hook.Normally cheaper stuff for the liquidised ground bait.I am always looking at the reduced rack in the shops for reduced loaves!

I use it throughout the season on the river.I have a number of different sized punches from 6mm to 25mm .Made from broken rod sections which then have a wine cork fitted to make a nice handle.A slit is cut in the side of the tube to help extract the bread disc.Very often I will pre punch the discs prior to a trip and store them in grip seal bags.
Still messing with this bait including flavours and mixing brown/white bread for the feed.

I will also add flavour to the wheat in the flask......endless this fishing lark!

The wheat and punch has taken over from maggot for me.
When October arrives it will time to seek out a big chub,sausage meat paste,luncheon meat paste and the killer cheese paste and crust combo (thank you to Archie Braddock for first putting me on to this via his book and articles) Again flavours will be all part of this.
Flavoured wheat will be added to the feeder if being used.

All these baits freeze well and some benefit from being thawed out and the frozen again.

Enjoy your outings.
All the best
Nige.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

I think you have a sound plan experimenting with these baits as tackle shops around me ( only 1 left at present) have all but dissapeared and the simple task of going and buying a pint of maggots for a few hours fishing is getting harder and harder to do.

regards

Bjp :Hat:

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

:fish:
TrentFisher wrote: ↑Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 pm I had a chance to get out again today for a another session using wheat on the Trent.
I did have a quick look at my local stretch this morning to find it carrying a little extra water and some colour.

I arrived at around 2.00pm and settled into the long glide swim I had previously fished catching a nice number of chub.
During the session I had some run through's with punched bread and picked up a bonus bream of around 3lb.
The punched bread also accounted for some nice dace and a couple of better roach too.

Throughout the session the wheat was trickled in along with hemp and this kept the bites coming apart from one quiet spell.

This bait has more to offer and I will be planning further sessions .It was interesting to note only one chub today.

So far my five sessions on the Trent has resulted in variety of species for very little outlay.(I get about two pints of bait from a mug full of seed this is prepared in a flask)

I will keep you posted.

All the best
Nige.
Lovely story πŸ‘
Where do you get your wheat from ?
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

TrentFisher wrote: ↑Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 pm
Barbelseeker wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 am Well done Nige.

I haven't tried pearl barley so far this season.In the past I have had some good days on the Trent taking roach.chub and bream.
The punched bread has worked very well for me over recent seasons .
Warburtons medium slice for the hook.Normally cheaper stuff for the liquidised ground bait.I am always looking at the reduced rack in the shops for reduced loaves!

I use it throughout the season on the river.I have a number of different sized punches from 6mm to 25mm .Made from broken rod sections which then have a wine cork fitted to make a nice handle.A slit is cut in the side of the tube to help extract the bread disc.Very often I will pre punch the discs prior to a trip and store them in grip seal bags.
Still messing with this bait including flavours and mixing brown/white bread for the feed.

I will also add flavour to the wheat in the flask......endless this fishing lark!

The wheat and punch has taken over from maggot for me.
When October arrives it will time to seek out a big chub,sausage meat paste,luncheon meat paste and the killer cheese paste and crust combo (thank you to Archie Braddock for first putting me on to this via his book and articles) Again flavours will be all part of this.
Flavoured wheat will be added to the feeder if being used.

All these baits freeze well and some benefit from being thawed out and the frozen again.

Enjoy your outings.
All the best
Nige.
Totally agree :Thumb:

Out here maggots are about 10c each and pretty poor specimens. Stewed wheat and banded chicken pellets are great for mini species and roach. I add vanilla essence to the wheat. Maize whole and milled is a staple for carp and barbel. Luncheon meat and home made meatballs or sausage sticks and cheese paste with or without a bit of salmon cat food can be used to avoid smaller species. I can get most of my bait ingredients from the supermarket.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Paul W wrote: ↑Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 pm :fish:
TrentFisher wrote: ↑Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 pm I had a chance to get out again today for a another session using wheat on the Trent.

I will keep you posted.

All the best
Nige.
Lovely story πŸ‘
Where do you get your wheat from ?
Hi Paul,
I bought a smaller quantity off a well known auction site.I just ordered a 20kg bag from the same site for Β£11.99 inc delivery.....fingers crossed its OK when it lands.
Just search whole wheat.
All the best
Nige.

Return to β€œRiver Trent”