FIRST SESSIONS AND WET NESTS!

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

FIRST SESSIONS AND WET NESTS!

Post by TrentFisher »

Unusually for me to have actually managed three sessions on my local stretch of the Trent this early in the season...no complaints.

The first one was a spur of the moment affair ,float rod dead maggots from the freezer and some dendras.
I arrived to find the river carrying some extra water .I decided to fish some quiet water and let my float drift around the eddy was which close to the bank and around 9ft deep.
At first I observed the path my float took and once satisfied I introduced some offerings.
things were a little slow at first ,then the dace and roach found my bait and a steady flow of fish came my way.
Nothing to bother the net but all welcome and in pristine condition.
Dead maggots were doing the job.I switched to dendra only and then dendra/maggot combination but no takers.....I am sure if any perch were present they would have taken a liking to this offering......but no joy on this occasion .
I was expecting a bream of two to show at some point and two graced the net around the four pound mark.
So all in all a good start......

The next adventure was last Saturday afternoon in the wind and showers.
I opted for a roach approach.
There is a very nice long glide which is not easy to access.
Judging by the height of the wall of nettles nobody had found this spot.
Bait was to be punched bread and liquidised bread as feed and some mashed sweetcorn and whole corn as back up.
Rod was the trusty Hardy's 12 ft Matchmaker and my old battered Mitchell Match,long trotting would be the tactics.
With the depth sorted ,and some feed introduced the first cast was made.
First fish a chub all of six ounces,quickly followed by another,then dace and roach.
Couple of hours in ,bang first bream .They are great to catch on the float .This one was around five pounds....lovely!
Over the next couple of hours five more followed in between roach and chub(letes).
All fell to punched bread....to tell you the truth I was enjoying myself so much I totally forgot I had some corn with me!

The most recent outing was yesterday evening.
Back at the same glide but this time bait was stewed wheat to see how I would fair with this out of favour bait.I also had some hemp to add to the loose feed.
I was fishing by 6.30 and first run through saw a chub of about twelve ounces come my way.....Good start were my thoughts.
over the next three hours the fish came in short bursts.
The interesting thing for me was the dominant species was the chub .The best was around a pound and half.
Not huge I know,however these have been hard to come by in reason seasons at this time of year.Anglers fishing maggots don't tend to see them as much.
I also managed some roach but only four or five and a couple of dace .
This is the first session with no bream showing,however I did catch a small roach/bream hybrid.....now these use to be everywhere on this stretch and the Trent in general .Some days you would have to feed them off to get your bait to those better fish.
Certainly food for thought.
I will be having more session with the wheat ....its still got legs...in my opinion any way.

I see Mr Brookes (Bob) is starting to find the barbel....look forward to more good reports!

Many thanks for reading my ramblings ,I wish you well with your adventures.

Nige.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: FIRST SESSIONS AND WET NESTS!

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: Well done Nige. It is good to see that the other species are doing well, the sign of a really healthy river. I am fascinated by the wet nest. :Hahaha: :Wink:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:06 pm :Hat: Well done Nige. It is good to see that the other species are doing well, the sign of a really healthy river. I am fascinated by the wet nest. :Hahaha: :Wink:
wet nests....still laughing.....what a plonker!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Good fishing. You may find the that the roach x bream 'hybrids' are actually silver bream which are prolific in the Trent.

Return to “River Trent”