Gudgeon .....is it just me?

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Gudgeon .....is it just me?

Post by Phil Arnott »

I remember seeing winning weights in double figures of gudgeon weighed in on the Trent and a number of matchmen specifically targeted them. There's a general lack of gudgeon in all the waters where I catch them I don't think it's anything specific to the Trent.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Thank you Gents some interesting thoughts and comments.

My own view is similar to Barbelseeker.

That average was no exaggeration at 3-4 ounces the weir pool at the side of Beeston weir (Clifton side) was rammed and the Grove towards Clifton Bridge.

When I am lucky to catch one I take great pleasure from studying this wonderful little fish.

All the best
Nige.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

TrentFisher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:03 pm Thank you Gents some interesting thoughts and comments.

That average was no exaggeration at 3-4 ounces the weir pool at the side of Beeston weir (Clifton side) was rammed and the Grove towards Clifton Bridge.

When I am lucky to catch one I take great pleasure from studying this wonderful little fish.

All the best
Nige.
Nige the number of times I walked across "rubber land" to fish below the weir.

I don't know if you are aware but Bendigo the Boxer, a great friend of William Bailey fell near the weir on the Beeston side, punctured his lung and died in agony.

When we first started fishing below the weir you could have 2 or 3 feet of foam, but we still caught Gudgeon.

We did try and fish Col. Cliftons pond when no one was around.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

StefanDuma wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:31 pm
TrentFisher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:03 pm Thank you Gents some interesting thoughts and comments.

All the best
Nige.
Nige the number of times I walked across "rubber land" to fish below the weir.

I don't know if you are aware but Bendigo the Boxer, a great friend of William Bailey fell near the weir on the Beeston side, punctured his lung and died in agony.

When we first started fishing below the weir you could have 2 or 3 feet of foam, but we still caught Gudgeon.

We did try and fish Col. Clifton's pond when no one was around.
Blimey how could I forget the foam,especially early morning.I spent many many days and nights fishing Col.pond .I was a Notts Anglers member for many years and the cost of the book soon got recovered .They were very keen bailiffs ,a guy called Jack if I remember correctly always happy to share his knowledge.There was another one who came round with his dog .I never had any issues with him once he new I was a regular member ,but boy he was a serious chap.

Happy memories

Cheers
Nige.

Return to “River Trent”