BREAD PACKS A PUNCH

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

BREAD PACKS A PUNCH

Post by TrentFisher »

Hello Gents,

managed a a short session on the Trent today late afternoon to around 7pm.

My target species was the beautiful Trent roach which seem to be getting better and better in recent seasons.
When I say better I don't mean masses of clonking pound plus fish but the increase in the stepping stone stamp of fish ranging from two ounces to a little under a pound.
These fish are in fabulous condition and hopefully they stay that way for those fisherboys who enjoy trying to catch a few of them.

Bread was my choice of bait in the form of bread punch for bait and liquidised bread as feed.
With the essentials dropped in a shoulder bag and a rod bag packed likewise I was off to the river.

Hardy match Maker put together and teamed up with a Shakespeare 2660 closed faced reel was to be my tackle for the session.
Now the swim......I had my eye on this steady glide around Severn feet deep since the start of the season.The problem was access as the bank is steep with very little room at the bottom.
I had a look and the water was shallow at the bank and gradually dropped away.After a little effort I was safely installed .

After a couple of run trots with the float the depth was set and I was ready.
I introduced two squeezes of liquidised bread and watch as they sank breaking up nicely as they disappeared.
The roach will love that was my thought.
The first 8mm punch of bread was made and the hook inserted into the disc.The cast made and the line checked ,my float travelled down the swim.
All was good in my world watching the orange tip of the float .
Dip and again.
Gone.
The float slipped under the surface.
My strike was made and the first redfin came to hand .
A scale perfect fish all of four ounces....smashing .
A few more followed with a sprinkling of dace and chubletts.
Each time my swim went quiet I introduced two squeezes of feed and the fish returned.I tend not to introduce any feed until the bites dry up to signal the next phase.
Just a note regarding the bread I use for the punch.Its always Warburtons medium Slice ,which has the crusts removed and then rolled so it is compressed and then each slice wrapped cling film(interleaved ).One slice is removed at a time and the others remained wrapped to keep it moist.

Back to the fishing ,as always the time had flown by and it was soon time to make my way home.
With around forty fish caught ,with a few better ones amongst them it was a very nice way to spend a few hours on my local river.

All the best Nige.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: BREAD PACKS A PUNCH

Post by Tonytoned »

An excellent combination Nige. I have a Matchmaker and its a superb rod, I'll have to look out for the Shakespeare 2660 closed face just through curiosity. That is a beautiful looking part of the river, it's seems a sure thing using bread and mashed bread for Roach. This was an enjoyable read.

Thank you..... Tony :Hat:

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

just a sample of the roach,not the biggest of the catch but as they say "size isn't everything!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

TrentFisher wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 pm just a sample of the roach,not the biggest of the catch but as they say "size isn't everything!
Excellent Nige. Like size isn't everything and its the just being there.

:Thumb:

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

There is something special in watching an orange tipped float going down the stream and watching it dip, then find your attached to a roach, well done.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one Nige.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Had another session after the roach this afternoon .
Weather was a little wet and blustery at times but still managed some roach.not quite the stamp of fish as Monday but all perfect.
I also took two bream around 4/5 pound.
I fished the usual 8mm punch but had a few trots with a 12mm punch folding the disc in half and the ends lightly pinched together and the hook through the fold.(An idea borrowed from the "Big canal roach in winter " (Kevin Parr I think on You tube)
This accounted for one bream and a couple of roach.......food for thought.
I hope you all enjoy your session whatever you are angling for.
Need a perch session now.
All the best
Nige.

Return to “River Trent”