Rods for the Trent

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
CrayCane
Chub

Rods for the Trent

Post by CrayCane »

Going to be barbel fishing on the Trent for a few days in a week or so, roughly in the Burton Joyce area.

I've never fished the river before but would like to use cane, so looking for a little advice on rods. Would I be under-gunned using a MK IV carp rod?

Pete

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Rods for the Trent

Post by Snape »

I fish a bit downstream from there and the MKIV is fine.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Providing the river is at normal summer level a Mk IV carp should be just fine. Load your reel with heavier line than you would normally use with a cane carp rod. Most of the Trent has the banks lined with big rocks so you need more robust line to give you better abrasion resistance. I would use no less than 10lb but would suggest 12lb is better, your shout!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:01 pm Providing the river is at normal summer level a Mk IV carp should be just fine. Load your reel with heavier line than you would normally use with a cane carp rod. Most of the Trent has the banks lined with big rocks so you need more robust line to give you better abrasion resistance. I would use no less than 10lb but would suggest 12lb is better, your shout!
But remember that if you do get stuck on a rock, don’t try and pull it out with your cane rod!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Sage advice above. I use mk1v in that area of the Trent and it's fine. Don't make the mistake of casting far as there is plenty of fish under your feet. That "stone toe" Bob speaks of can be an issue. Tbh I've used 12lb but never really needed it and as long as you can keep the rod up you'll be ok.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Many thanks chaps, that's good to hear. I'll take something stronger along as a reserve.
Pete

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

CrayCane wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:30 pm Many thanks chaps, that's good to hear. I'll take something stronger along as a reserve.
Pete
A salmon spinning rod or a MKIV SU are both good for the stronger flows.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks Snape. I was thinking I'll put my Sharpe's spinner and a heavy carp rod in the bag.
Pete

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

CrayCane wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 pm Thanks Snape. I was thinking I'll put my Sharpe's spinner and a heavy carp rod in the bag.
Pete
I use a Sharpes spinner for much of my Trent barbel fishing.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks Bob. I've seen some of your reports on the beautiful barbel you've caught from the Trent, so that's certainly a good enough recommendation to me.
Pete

Return to “River Trent”