STARTING THE SEASON

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: STARTING THE SEASON

Post by Dave Burr »

Early season barbel, the great enigma. I find they do stay on the shallows for a week or three and only move after a spate in July (at least that's the Wye's usual form). As for getting on the bait, well they have been gorging in high water for a week or more so do they need pellets?

However, when I sit out the start of the season it usually gets off to a flyer but if I get there early on the 16th...... zilch. It's enough to make you reach for the golf clubs :fingertap:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have my ear to the ground with regard to catches on my stretches of the river and, on the opening day, very few anglers caught. In fact I only know of a couple who did.

As a result, tomorrow I shall be trying a new still water in search of a big crucian. (Any crucian would be nice, thank you)
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Tight Lines BB, look forward to reading about your new PB crucian tomorrow :Thumb: I take it you will be using a proper rod, as Mark puts it, and not one of those black plastic jobs that scare fish away :Chuckle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “River Trent”