STARTING THE SEASON

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Bob Brookes
Zander

STARTING THE SEASON

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: The Trent is currently very high, brown and angry, with loads of rubbish coming down. There is always somewhere you can fish it in these conditions, providing you are prepared to fish with leads the size of a hobbing iron. That is certainly not the approach I am prepared to adopt, at any cost. I have a spot which I have in mind where a cane and 'pin approach is possible with a maximum of 2oz to hold station. My son and I plan to try and get to that swim. It may require some wading and so I won't fish there if the river is rising.

The barbel have spawned on my stretch of the river and they should be spread out from the spawning grounds and be feeding avidly. If you can find out where they are and get a bait to them I expect that results may be good. Good luck to all that do fish the rivers on Sunday. I hope you catch, but more importantly, BE SAFE.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Liphook
Barbel

Re: STARTING THE SEASON

Post by Liphook »

Best of luck Bob :Hat: I hope the eggs/fry survive the floodwaters

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Liphook wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm Best of luck Bob :Hat: I hope the eggs/fry survive the floodwaters
I think it will be a poor year for fish recruitment, whereas last year was an exceptionally good one, especially on the Trent. I guess that should be OK long term.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Just been looking at the Wye Bob, much the same as the Trent. Can't see me getting out for the off and, as I'm having a small operation on Wednesday, I doubt I shall actually fish until sometime in July. Not to worry, that's when it starts to get good.
I hope you get your string pulled :Thumb:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:55 pm Just been looking at the Wye Bob, much the same as the Trent. Can't see me getting out for the off and, as I'm having a small operation on Wednesday, I doubt I shall actually fish until sometime in July. Not to worry, that's when it starts to get good.
I wish you well with your operation Dave. Who knows, the Wye can go down quite quickly and so you may just grab yourself a session beforehand. If so, tight lines. :fishing1:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:20 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:55 pm Just been looking at the Wye Bob, much the same as the Trent. Can't see me getting out for the off and, as I'm having a small operation on Wednesday, I doubt I shall actually fish until sometime in July. Not to worry, that's when it starts to get good.
I wish you well with your operation Dave. Who knows, the Wye can go down quite quickly and so you may just grab yourself a session beforehand. If so, tight lines. :fishing1:
I wish Bob but after a week in France, Grandbrats at the weekend and wedding anniversary on Tuesday it's all a bit congested. Not to worry, early season is overrated and it will give me time to sort my carp gear out after a 'casual' pack-up.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sounds interesting, Bob.
I may try to get up there one day next week. :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I will be somewhere near you on the Trent on Sunday and probably Monday so I will give you a ring to see how you are getting on.I may be without my "Carer"!
Mark Davies

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Well, I got that wrong!

I thought that the barbel would have spread out from the spawning gravels...... Wrong.
I thought that with extra water in summer I would have a tremendous session.....Wrong
6 hours without a fish or any indications.
5 of us fishing within 200 yards. No one had a bite.

And to cap it all when I came to set up my cane rod I had packed the wrong 'pin, my crucian reel, with just 4lb line.... Wrong

I ended up fishing with a c****n rod and a modern reel, so perhaps that is the reason for my demise. I had to confess to that as I was seen doing so by a fellow tff'er. Being a judge he was sure to 'dob me in'!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Even though I used "proper rods" I also blanked Bob and got soaked! Just drying everything out to have another go tomorrow.Not sure where yet? I saw nothing!
Mark Davies

Return to “River Trent”