A very mixed bag.......

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

A very mixed bag.......

Post by TrentFisher »

Hello Gents

I had an itch to try and catch some Trent roach using float tactics and bait would be bread flake.
I decided to scratch the itch on Sunday evening fishing from 6.00 pm until the float was no longer visible.

Tackle wise ...13ft Allcocks Billy Lane match rod and Ambidex casting reel.I finally had the chance to use one of Trevor's Victorian quill floats.The float was an absolute pleasure to use.

From the start I fed a a small squeezed ball of liquidized bread followed by the float tackle gently holding back as it moved down the swim.
First bite resulted in a small chub and another four followed.

Not quite the plan but this fisherboy was happy and the magic last hour was still to come......

I adjusted the feed rate to a trickle and the first roach arrived a prime conditioned 8oz fish .Hopefully the sign of things to come.

Now everything was going to plan and then two things happened to try and upset the apple cart.First my normally reliable workhorse reel decided to miss -fire and the bail arm spring was the fault.No spare reel in the bag so after a bit of fiddling I managed to continue but manually engaging the arm after casting and when striking after connecting with a fish.
Then more frustrating Mr Pike decided to show up during the magic hour!!!!!!
All went quiet ,bites dried up, I decided it was too late to move so plugged away and the picture below was my reward ,,,under a pound but a netter .

Reel now sorted ,Mr Pike will keep until October,so all in in all just another day for an average Trentfisher

Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: A very mixed bag.......

Post by AllRounder »

Full marks for persistence. River pike always seem to be very active this time of year particularly if you are catching a few fish the low river levels and clarity are not helping.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: A very mixed bag.......

Post by LuckyLuca »

Not all to plan but a very nice sounding session none the less :Thumb:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “River Trent”