Trent tyro needs advice

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
John Aston

Trent tyro needs advice

Post by John Aston »

I'd like to have a day on the Trent as the barbel fishing (and much else ) sounds very alluring. Decades since I fished there. I am looking for a stretch handy for A1 (it's 2 hours + from home ) with good access and not entirely full of idiots, Quantity of fish main criterion - I would rather have a few barbel(and a bream or two maybe - I am not fussy ) of reasonable size than a big fish or bust stretch. No long walks as need to maximise fishing time and ticket on line or on the bank . Ideas please?

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Trent tyro needs advice

Post by Old Man River »

Hi, quite a lot of river in the area you indicate. I usually fish Collingham, on the conveyor belt stretch.. to get there, A1, and take the junction marked to the A46 Newark/Lincoln, first roundabout off the motorway take the first exit marked "Collingham," next roundabout turn left, and stay on that road until you see a road off to the left callet "White Hart Lane" go left down the road,turn right at the end, and then first left ( signposted "River Trent )the lane is called Carlton Ferry Lane, NG237LX for the satnav .It starts with a reasonable surface and gets really bumpy and pot holed the further you go down it.... stay on the lane for 1.25 miles, and you will see a steel gate on the left hand side, inside the steel gate there is a bloody big conveyor belt on the left for loading barges, you can drive onto the bank and go right, and park behind your peg. The pegs down to the next field gate are all good for a few fish.Tickets £5.00 per day from the bailiff on the bank, you can use two rods,The bailiff will appear sometime during the day, just fish until he arrives.

Failing that . look here....http://www.a1pits.co.uk/trent.html

Hope this helps.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Many thanks - very helpful. Can I get down the track with a normal hatchback OK ?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Shouldnt be any problem John, I have been down in a Fiat Punto without any trouble. It just means driving slowly and picking your way around the holes.
Quick heads up, it appears that it has not been actually fishing its pants off recently... the Trent below Collingham wier is tidal, it fishes better on bigger tides, to get the tide times / heights check here..and add 4 hours, try to fish one hour before high, then on the ebb.

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/hull

On my last trip, the bailiff recommended to fish reasonably light ( 6 hook length, 8 lb main line ) with very long hook lengths (5-6ft ) and to use small hooks / baits , that was when the river was quite clear and low. I tend to go much heavier usually, 15 lb main with a 12 lb hooklength.

Hope this helps.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “River Trent”