Woldale Now

This forum belongs to Woldale.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Woldale Now

Post by The Old Buffer »

I have a friend whose daughter lives and farms within a stones throw of Woldale. He informed me yesterday that the two lakes have now been stocked with trout.
I visited the lakes a couple of years ago and stood watching a large dog otter swim across the top lake; you could still identify the old fishing spots but there was no sign of any angler activity, though it was the back end of June.

Unlike Redmire, Woldale appears to have faded from memory and I feel a certain sadness that this has come to be. I can but console myself with the thought that all things come to pass.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Woldale Now

Post by Rutland Rod »

When I used to travel through the Wolds from Rutland via Louth/Horncastle etc to the Grimsby area for meetings I always meant to have a look at the waters in Maurice Ingram & Dick Walkers ‘Drop me a line ‘ like many of my best intentions I never did have a look at Woldale, Revesby etc. Lovely part of the country and to my mind still rural in the best way.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

About ten years or so back I got to know a couple of guys that still fished Woldale. They said then that the fishing had deteriorated from its heyday but that the magic remained. Since then the scourge of the otter has evidently put a finish to another piece of angling history. What a shame.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Rutland Rod wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:25 pm When I used to travel through the Wolds from Rutland via Louth/Horncastle etc to the Grimsby area for meetings I always meant to have a look at the waters in Maurice Ingram & Dick Walkers ‘Drop me a line ‘ like many of my best intentions I never did have a look at Woldale, Revesby etc. Lovely part of the country and to my mind still rural in the best way.
Woledale is still incredibly beautiful and magical but I have doubts regarding the fishing as otters are an increasing problem in the wolds.

Revesby Reservoir was, until comparatively recently, a day ticket water. It is now members only and will cost you about £500 per year for membership. It used to be famous for big bream but Revesby Estates netted it, selling the bream on and buying in big carp. It is now popular with specimen hunters after carp in the warm months and big pike in the winter. It also suffered a severe otter problem and an otter fence was erected a few years back. As it is 35 acres of water you can well imagine the expence.

Revesby is also an incredibly beutiful fishery but being on the flat it lacks Woledales magic.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Return to “Woldale”