Access to fish Redmire pool....

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Access to fish Redmire pool....

Post by Santiago »

Looks just like the lake at Reading University.

I can understand most folk wanting to fish Redmire just for the nostalgia, and I hope those that do enjoy the experience, even if they don't catch. Luckily most of us accept the ethos that fishing is far more than about catching! But phone wars to get there if you're lucky, nar, that sort of hassle would spoil it for me. Still, I've enjoyed reading about it; especially Chris Yates account!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

For more years than I care to remember I yearned to fish Redmire.

In the more recent years the steady drip, drip of negative articles about it being in decline and not the same started to take it toll and I sort of fell in line with the view that it would be a disappointment and not very fulfilling so my interest waned.

In the winter of 2018 I got the chance to fish it for the last week of the 2017/18 season in March. It was via a very generous offer by our very own Terry (AKA Bob the Float). I fished it when it was at its ‘worse’ with the silting, and general decline, in the middle of winter with snow,cold, continual rain and good helping of mud thrown in. OK, I didn’t have to do the phone wars but was it worth it? Of course it was. It was a week of dreams on a lake just screaming out with history, walking in the footsteps of the legends which went before. Rose tinted glasses - no definitely not, they would have misted up anyway on a wet and cold weeks like I had. I took a cold, hard, pragmatic look at a week on a sodden lake which was past it best but still thought it a magical experience.

Now I want to get back on the rejuvenated Redmire in all its summer glory so I have experienced all its ups and downs.

I wrote this journal piece as a way of trying to express what the trip was like. I’ve put up the link again so any newer member can read it if they are considering a visit :Thumb:

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 93&t=27181

:Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd wager that without its history, that if one fished there for a week in the not so productive months of the winter and early spring that one would come away a tad disappointed, even though its a beautiful lake. Surely, its the nostalgia that makes Redmire so special, before and after the recent renovation.. Without its history etc., it would just be another lake, and the essence of fishing from Walker's swim etc. would be lost. A lake would have to be very special for me to spend a week there at any time of year, such is Redmire, but I'll keep the magic by not actually fishing there!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Newtocane
Ruffe

Post by Newtocane »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 am
Liphook wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:02 am Let us not take away from the stalwart efforts of Skeff! His work and that of other interested parties has kept the option of Redmire open and viable. We have the ability to make our own choices after all :Hat:
Couldn’t agree more!

I don’t know Skeff but I know a chap who looks after the place - planting trees etc. The work of all involved shows.

Personally I loved my first time at Redmire. The chance to see before me that famous place. To walk the banks and spot the famous spots - the dam, the island where Yates caught that surface carp in APFA, the spot where CY and BJ jumped out of the tree etc. To fish and sleep for a week in Walker’s Pitch. Magic. I realised a lifelong dream that cold week in February.

Long may fishing continue and others realise their dreams of visiting.
And it was a great week with some good company and the added bonus of a carp on worm fished under a quill!

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Newtocane wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 am
Liphook wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:02 am Let us not take away from the stalwart efforts of Skeff! His work and that of other interested parties has kept the option of Redmire open and viable. We have the ability to make our own choices after all :Hat:
Couldn’t agree more!

I don’t know Skeff but I know a chap who looks after the place - planting trees etc. The work of all involved shows.

Personally I loved my first time at Redmire. The chance to see before me that famous place. To walk the banks and spot the famous spots - the dam, the island where Yates caught that surface carp in APFA, the spot where CY and BJ jumped out of the tree etc. To fish and sleep for a week in Walker’s Pitch. Magic. I realised a lifelong dream that cold week in February.

And it was a great week with some good company and the added bonus of a carp on worm fished under a quill!
Is that you, Garry? I didn't know you were on TFF.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Newtocane wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 am
Couldn’t agree more!

Aye, and it's great to think that Garry got his first Redmire carp and you got your first visit on my week. That's why we commit to phonewars!! :eyebrow:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Newtocane
Ruffe

Post by Newtocane »

[/quote]

Yes it is, hadn't been on for a while, but pop in every now and then!

Return to “Redmire Pool”