Restoration.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
JPC
Bleak

Re: Restoration.

Post by JPC »

The main problem with the fallen oak (apart from it should not have been left in the Pool) was that it was a target for every under equipped poor caster that ever fished there. So many used to try and drop their end tackle about half an inch from the rotting branches that supported the big old oak. Many fish were hooked and subsequently lost as they dived into the tangle of sunken branches, this I am sure was a big factor in the mouth damage (Redmire fish have always had very soft mouths) to so many of the Redmire fish in recent years, a safe zone, really ?
The one bad practice it did cure however was the ploy of so many who fished there, who would set up their base camp and two or three rods in the Evening Pitch and then sneak down to
Cranstoun's and put out a third or fourth rod just as it was getting dark, modern state of the art remote bite indicator's had little problem registering a take at thirty yards or so ! The fallen oak making the practice just too risky, being just a few yards away. Even the fittest of carpers would need fifteen or twenty seconds to get to their snide !

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Crumbs JPC, that is a very bleak assessment of how I understand angling to be. If it really was / is like that for me I would sell all the kit and find another hobby!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

To be fair Troydog many do fish there with great respect and care. Sadly some have no respect.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

JPC wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:27 pm The main problem with the fallen oak (apart from it should not have been left in the Pool) was that it was a target for every under equipped poor caster that ever fished there. So many used to try and drop their end tackle about half an inch from the rotting branches that supported the big old oak. Many fish were hooked and subsequently lost as they dived into the tangle of sunken branches, this I am sure was a big factor in the mouth damage (Redmire fish have always had very soft mouths) to so many of the Redmire fish in recent years, a safe zone, really ?
The one bad practice it did cure however was the ploy of so many who fished there, who would set up their base camp and two or three rods in the Evening Pitch and then sneak down to
Cranstoun's and put out a third or fourth rod just as it was getting dark, modern state of the art remote bite indicator's had little problem registering a take at thirty yards or so ! The fallen oak making the practice just too risky, being just a few yards away. Even the fittest of carpers would need fifteen or twenty seconds to get to their snide !
I liked the tree for it's aesthetic and the fact that carp could lay there in relative safety. I have to agree JPC, that anybody trying to catch fish from within or immediately adjacent to a snag is a complete plonker (nicest word I could think of). There are ways of catching near snags but they involve one rod and an alert angler, trying to do it with a multi rod set up is just plan stupid. Fish come out of such places to feed so why not intercept them when they do? It's called angling.

As for people sneaking a fourth rod out, well they need their hands cut off. It's just greedy fishing and some people just think that the more rods they cast the more fish they will catch - it is rarely so.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

GregF wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 pm They are wonderful pieces Barbulus, something to treasure for sure. I knew a few bits had been made, my own stopper (by St. John) is also from that tree. Dave, I think it might have once been yours as it came with a rod that had passed through your hands. Likewise, I’m not planning on selling it. I wasn’t really thinking of existing pieces, but that there’s a lot more wood there that could be put to good use. It was just an idle, late-night thought really, possibly a silly one or perhaps something that’s already been considered, I dunno.
So thats where it went :doh: I'm glad you have it Greg, if I'd found it I'd have sent it to you anyway :Thumb: Enjoy.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am As for people sneaking a fourth rod out, well they need their hands cut off. It's just greedy fishing and some people just think that the more rods they cast the more fish they will catch - it is rarely so.
I have never understood the Redmire 4 rods allowance. The idea that from next season there could be 16 lines out in a 3 acre pool with 50 fish in it, is horrific!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Yes Snape, four rods is plainly ridiculous. What I understand is that Skeff and his team have restored the pool to a similar condition as it used to be several decades ago. I think that most people would agree that this is a fabulous project very well done.

However, you can never turn the clock back. Dick Walker and his friends lived in a comparatively pre technology world. Dick designed a few simple bite alarms, but these were in the formative years.

The idea that 'anglers' today would set up their electronic battery pods each holding four rods, whilst they sit and watch TV or stroll round the water drinking cans of lager, is madness. If you want to restore the INTEGRITY of Redmire, then whoever is in charge for future years may need to restrict people to two rods, insist on single rod bite alarms that are not linked to Smart phones, restrict damaging terminal tackle such as braid and so on.

Without effective management, however that is defined, the place will look like any other over fished, over abused commercial fishery in a very short space of time. And then all Skeffs blood, sweat and tears will have been wasted.
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Troydog wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:19 pm Yes Snape, four rods is plainly ridiculous. What I understand is that Skeff and his team have restored the pool to a similar condition as it used to be several decades ago. I think that most people would agree that this is a fabulous project very well done.

However, you can never turn the clock back. Dick Walker and his friends lived in a comparatively pre technology world. Dick designed a few simple bite alarms, but these were in the formative years.

The idea that 'anglers' today would set up their electronic battery pods each holding four rods, whilst they sit and watch TV or stroll round the water drinking cans of lager, is madness. If you want to restore the INTEGRITY of Redmire, then whoever is in charge for future years may need to restrict people to two rods, insist on single rod bite alarms that are not linked to Smart phones, restrict damaging terminal tackle such as braid and so on.

Without effective management, however that is defined, the place will look like any other over fished, over abused commercial fishery in a very short space of time. And then all Skeffs blood, sweat and tears will have been wasted.
Ultimately Tim, it's just a fishing lake. But it was also the site of some of carp fishing's great advances in technique and technology, so why restrict what is available today?

I did not realise there was a four rod limit on Redmire. It does seem excessive to me, I'd be more than happy to fish two rods as I usually do.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

That's OK Dave. I am just suggesting that effective management of the pool maybe better than a free for all where the lowest common denominator rules. Presumably there will be a committee or some form of management and they will decide what is best going forward. At H&DAA the committee meets twice a month to discuss and decide on issues affecting the fishing club; we make the rules and that's how things are done. I hope that Redmire has a similar set up for the people that care for it. Otherwise, as you say Dave, its just a fishing lake.....
John Harding

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Don't think for one minute multiple rod set up's are a new practice at Redmire. Three and four rods (in the same pitch) has been common practice since the mid sixties. During the John Nixon Speciman Group era three rods were the norm and later when Jack Hilton formed his syndicate four rods were often used, there are plenty of photo's of Jack, Bill Quinlan and Roger Smith using four rods. When I joined the syndicate most members used three or four rods, even Chris Yates often put out three rods during the night.
I also remember talking to Pete Thomas and and Fred J who told me that although two rods were usually used sometimes a third one was brought into play, bare in mind Redmire was regarded as mega hard by the Carp Catchers.

Return to “Redmire Pool”