Redmire - August 1997 Trip

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Goosequill
Dace

Redmire - August 1997 Trip

Post by Goosequill »

Gents,

A long shot indeed. I fished for a week at Redmire in August 1997, between the 24th and 31st of August (the last day being the day that Princess Diana died).

I spent my time with a couple of fellas for the first five days (we were all strangers upon meeting) and then another gent joined for the weekend (who went on to catch a splendid common over 30lbs).

Now, the long shot - one of chaps fishing was called Mike and he was fishing with cane at the time - we were of the same "approach" to our angling and therefore, after all these years, I wondered if he happened to be lurking in this forum, and if so, it would be splendid to hear from him again as I lost contact many, many years ago ….

Kindest regards all,

Chris

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Redmire - August 1997 Trip

Post by Tengisgol »

I was at the Red Lion, Bredwardine, that weekend. We had a late night in the bar and some journalists were in the house. My recollection is that we heard the news within a short time and before the PM was told.

Good luck with the quest and I hope my mutterings help a bump up and in the hope Mike is here somewhere.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I just forwarded you message on to Rob Fox who was Redmire bailiff at that time in case he recalls.
Good luck!

Also have you considered putting it on the Redmire forum? It's pretty quiet over there but you never know...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Goosequill
Dace

Post by Goosequill »

Gents,

Many thanks for the kind replies..

Tengisol - I remember sitting under my brolly that evening and I switched my radio on to get the weather forecast (didn't have mobile phones then) and it was just developing as news (very conflicting at first) was coming in from France......driving home from Redmire that Sunday lunchtime it was on EVERY radio station. I remember Radio 1 just playing songs with no DJ yack at all....most unusual. A huge thunderstorm erupted that morning and carp were rolling and leaping all over the pool..... I remember one of the other gents I fished with that week, a gentleman called Dave, left a note in the Redmire log about Princess Diana.

Snape - Thank you Sir, that is very kind. I dont recall meeting Rob that week (maybe I did) but I do recall one of the owners coming down one afternoon and we had a very pleasant chat sitting by the dam. That is an excellent idea about the Redmire website forum, I should give that a try.

Once again, many thanks Gentlemen.

Chris

Return to “Redmire Pool”