High drama in the Top Pitch, Redmire.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Paul D

Re: High drama in the Top Pitch, Redmire.

Post by Paul D »

Personally and I know it may well raise eyebrows and be controversial but the magic/mystic of the place has gone for good. Sadly the pool has for many years been exploited for all its worth and no amount of draining, netting et al could hope to restore it to its former glory.
The place needs a bloody good rest.... just donning my best tin hat :surrender:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Paul D wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 pm Personally and I know it may well raise eyebrows and be controversial but the magic/mystic of the place has gone for good. Sadly the pool has for many years been exploited for all its worth and no amount of draining, netting et al could hope to restore it to its former glory.
The place needs a bloody good rest.... just donning my best tin hat :surrender:
I agree Paul but the restoration work needs doing. Then ideally it should be left alone for some time to recover properly.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

A dream never to come true........if it were mine I'd get it sorted and rest it for 10 years.....get all the original swims back....lush green grass and a bloody big willow....never gonna happen though I feel......
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I personally agree that a complete drain down and fish removal is the only option. Rather than remove the magic, it will actually restore the magic.
I think the picnic/barbecue area is often overstated. It is just a bench table and Walker and Taylor would've loved it.
I'm not sure what giving the pool a good rest would achieve, other than an opportunity for Tarka to move back in.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I know all these comments resonate with Skeff, the future is in safe hands in my view.

You can't turn the clock back but lets look to the future and as having fished the pool twice I don't think the mystery will ever disappear.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

When does the work begin the draining and desilting ect?

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Hopefully after I've had my turn next year
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Loop Erimder wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 pm Hopefully after I've had my turn next year
I'm sure work would start in the closed season Just didn't know If it would be next year.
If it was we would be the last people to fish it before all is revealed Loop!

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Uplifting ! Thank you Gurn for posting this. A remarkable place and envious .... in a good way ....

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Thanks to Gurn for this post, and to all who have added so many informative details above. For all those who have a keen interest in Redmire and its unique past, but like me will realistically never have an opportunity to fish the place, this recent history - warts and all - adds much to what can be gleaned from books.

I wish the best of luck to Skeff and others planning the restoration. It's unlikely that anything that can be done would completely re-create the unique water quality of the past, but that is not an argument for doing nothing. There must be a good chance of making worthwhile improvements - and maybe even getting some of the magic back, given time.

Return to “Redmire Pool”