Redmire Pool

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
J.T
Catfish

Re: Redmire Pool

Post by J.T »

On a completely different note.

Does anyone know if the Sword in the shallows has been found yet?
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Having returned "home" recently and "catching up" may I add well done Skeff; absolutely the man for it and if I can assist I will be happy to do so. I too loved my time there - the magic remains if different - the nights still very black - but the sympathetic restoration and management outlined is overdue and vital. An amazing place that needs work to protect and enhance some of our history for those who care.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

J.T wrote:On a completely different note.

You really should be more careful where you leave your medieval weaponry

JAA

Post by JAA »

Trevor wrote:
J.T wrote:On a completely different note.

You really should be more careful where you leave your medieval weaponry
...said the Lady-in-waiting to the Knight. :laugh1:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Very amusing chaps... :Chuckle:

However the sword is not mine and was not left there by me. :Cool:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Were the place mine, I'd get a friendly limnologist in before starting any major de-silting operation. And certainly establish some objective, measurable criteria at the outset against which future assessments can be made. To what extent has agricultural run-off contributed to eutrophication or silt problems - the lake has shown red discolouration in the past - compared with say, constant or indiscriminate groundbaiting? I'm surmising here as I'm not familiar with the pond.

Deep silt has probably been a feature of that pond for well over 100 years, probably much longer. It could have well have contributed to the water's historic success since its first stocking with carp in the 1930s as bloodworm content is likely to have been very high. Moreover, deep silt sitting against an old dam wall can also, inadvertently, provide some protection against water leaks through the lower levels of the dam. The most important aspect of any impounded water is the dam (and associated structures). I would start from there. You may not need to remove as much silt as you think. I'd probably aim, as a rough goal, for levels shown in those early diagrams made in the 1950s rather than scrape the bottom dry.

Reading the book "Redmire Pool" leaves the impression that the place has been rather casually managed at times in the past. Why remove and disperse 17lbs fish from the pond, for example? For what real (as opposed to imagined) reason?

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I think Skeff knows what he is doing !!!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Which reminds me Mushy ....thinking of Skeff ..... Ashmead is a must now that I am sorted from the House Move !

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Mushy wrote:I think Skeff knows what he is doing !!!
Apologies; I wasn't suggesting he didn't. I was offering a view as someone who once, very enthusiastically, removed more silt than necessary, exposed an old masonry dam face and ended up with a continuing maintenance problem.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

J.T wrote:Very amusing chaps... :Chuckle:

However the sword is not mine and was not left there by me. :Cool:
So what's the story?
I've heard the one about the teapot, but not the sword.

Return to “Redmire Pool”