Milwards 'Senior Featherlite' Rod

The Milwards Rods forum.
John-A
Stickleback

Milwards 'Senior Featherlite' Rod

Post by John-A »

As usual I am hoping that one or more of the extremely knowledgeable forum members will be able to tell me something about this rod please.

Some time ago I bought and cleared fishing tackle from the wife of a dear friend who sadly passed away far too young. Now as he and I had fished together for more than 25 years I knew much of my friend's gear, but amongst the lot were two cane rods that were unknown to me.

I've only just got around to checking these out with a view to restore or sell and have come across a rod that I know nothing about. There is a cheap 3 piece, 10 feet split cane (probably 1960's import) type, with chrome ferrules and silver foil trim to the red whippings, but I think the other rod is more interesting.

This one appears to be a 14 feet long, 3 piece match rod, with a Spanish Reed butt, which is 60 inches long and has a 26 inch long cork handle and aluminium reel fittings with black end button. The butt has a hexagonal black Milward's label with the flexed arm logo in gold and a small gold scroll with the name 'Milward's'. Below that is a double scroll type, gold backed badge bearing the words 'SENIOR FEATHERLITE' in black.

The middle section is also 60 inches long and seems to be Spanish Reed with a whole cane section spliced in 16 inches from the female ferrule. The tip section is 48 inches long, all split cane and 12 inches from the male ferrule has a long thin gold label, bordered in black with black lettering, which reads 'TWIN TAPER TIP'

Save for a replacement bottom line guide and the obvious rust of age on the high bridge rings, it appears to be all original. The rod is whipped in black and the original ferrule plugs & bag are present.

I'd really like to know when this was made and a little bit about it if anyone can help please.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Milwards 'Senior Featherlite' Rod

Post by AshbyCut »

The Featherlites were amongst the most expensive rods listed in Milwards catalogues ... mainly because of the fabulous compound 'twin taper' tip section ... and don't worry ... the fact that it's shorter than the other two sections is correct !!! It's not missing a few inches, that's how it was made.

The whipping may look black ... but is actually dark blue.

TFF member Nobby wrote some details about age in a post a few years ago ...

"In the 1962 catalogue, Featherlites at 10'6", 12 and 13 feet, all three piecers and a super-rare two piece at 11 foot.
Senior Featherlites at 12 and 14 feet, both 3 piecers.
These last two, introduced in 1953, are now stiffened up in some un-specified way and are now faster and stiffer as well as being able to cope with "any large fish encountered"

Hope that helps, Sir.

PS ... I'm fortunate enough to own one of the 11ft., 2 piece examples ... “Featherlite” 11ft., 2 piece rod. Described in their catalogue as “designed FOR CONTEST FISHING IN THE U.K. AND MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY FORM OF HEAVY FISHING” (which applied to all the Featherlites from 10ft. 6in. to 13ft. ... and I'd suggest the same for the Seniors too !!!).
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

John-A
Stickleback

Re: Milwards 'Senior Featherlite' Rod

Post by John-A »

Good Morning Sir AC,

Many thanks for your reply,

Yes, I realised that the tip section was correct length because the bag has an original 'stop' stitched in at that length for the top part. That really is a superb tip section and I'm pleased that the cane is in such great condition.

I think that I'll have to rewhip the rod because although many of the intermediates could probably be cleaned up, there are a few that I wouldn't trust and a new set of stand-off rings wouldn't go amiss. The blanks are superb and you're right about stiffness, all the action is in the top 4 feet.

I can imagine many Roach & Skimmer matches being won with one of these tools in the early 1950s.

I've been fishing since I was a lad in the late 1950's and in fishing style only, the rod reminds me very much of my late Uncle Vic's 14 foot Allcock's 'Gloria', which I also have.

Thanks again for your help

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”