Milward’s Services travel rod - restoration update

The Milwards Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Milward’s Services travel rod

Post by Duckett »

SeanM wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:34 pm From my 1953 catalogue:

The Services. A first class general purpose suitcase rod making up into a 5 piece 10 1/2 ft bottom rod or an 8 1/2 ft general rod. Packs into 27 in length. Whole cane butt and joints, greenheart tops, sheet cork grip, porcelain butt and end rings, round bridge intermediates. Price £5 5 0.
Thanks very much for this Sean. Love the description “suitcase rod”. The only thing actually missing from it was the porcelain liner of the butt ring, which must have been very small.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They did have some great names for these compact combination rods. The Valise rod was another and the Bicycle rod or Holiday rod, these days they are known as the Smuggler or pocket rod.
I did once see a Hardy "Services" rod which was a similar combination but I cannot find it anywhere now and I am wondering if maybe it was in the Hardy museum at Alnwick.

Wal.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Have a look at this link under Milwards rods there's some information on there http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/home.asp
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Harry H wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pm Have a look at this link under Milwards rods there's some information on there http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/home.asp
:Hat:
Thanks for this Harry. I think the “Serviceman Smuggler” described and pictured there must have been a later development of the idea. My “Services” only had 2 tips and it clearly wasn’t meant as a fly rod in any combination. The “Serviceman” is one very flexible rod!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Re: Milward’s Services travel rod - restoration update

Post by Duckett »

As I said in my original post, I sent the rod off to Wally’s Cast for restoration. Well, it arrived back on Christmas Eve. I have to say that I think Wal has done a wonderful job.

Wal did a full strip and rebuild for me. All of the low bell rings were very rusty and/or damaged, so the only original rings left are both of the tip rings on the original solid wood sections. The ferrule caps are original but needed new cork lining. I’ve added a bit of additional explanation beneath the photographs.

From top to bottom:
1) the original light lancewood tip. This had a fairly severe curve as you can see from the unrestored photographs above. Sadly, it started to return almost as soon as Wal straightened it, so this section now has an honourable retirement.
2) the original greenheart tip. This has restored very nicely. Wal thinks it was intended for up to 10lb line. I’m going to use it from time to time but will restrict it to 8lb line as a precaution given its age.
3) a general purpose split can tip that Wal put together for me - I wanted something Avon style for lines of about 6lb.
4) a replacement for the lancewood light tip in split cane that Wal put together for me - 3lb line.
5) top light solid cane section to go with the light tip.
6) top heavy solid cane section to go with the original heavy tip and the new general purpose tip.
7) bottom solid cane section with replacement ceramic ring.
8) butt section, more on this below with additional close up.

A couple of close ups:

Butt section transfer:

As I asked Wal to clean the solid cane sections completely, he did this lovely job keeping the original varnish over the transfer to preserve it and, in his words, “emphasise it”. I really like the way it looks. The bag looks original but there is no sign of a label.

Now, I’m a user, not a collector. For me a rod is a living thing that needs to be fished, if only a few times a year. It seems to me that this “Suitcase Rod”, as Milwards describe it in the 2 catalogue references I’ve seen, is still incredibly practical for travel and fishing rambles. So, it could see a fair amount of use.

According to the 2 catalogues, one early 1950s, one early 1960s, mine is the early rod (with solid wood tips) whilst the later Services had split cane tips. In summary, I now have 3 rods:

1) 10.5 foot light rod - 3lb line.
2) 8.5 foot general purpose rod - 6lb line.
3) 8.5 foot heavy rod - 8lb line.

One last note, I’m not much of a photographer and decided to use a light background for all but one of the photographs. If anyone would prefer to see ones with a darker background, just let me know.

Cheers,

Phil

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

That looks utterly gorgeous Sir... one rod for all eventualities...👍😎
Wal's rebuilds are stunning... I'm in the process of sorting out some bubblewrap and a tube for some rebuilds to send for Wal's Tender ministrations😎
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Now that is a very worthwhile restoration, and one to be looked after and used.
Wal has made a cracking job of it !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

It was quality before Wal's intervention. Now it is magnificent.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Fredline wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:29 am It was quality before Wal's intervention. Now it is magnificent.
My thoughts exactly! Hats off to all :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That's a lovely restoration job, but then it would be, Wal did it! :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”