Perch

Re: Milwards Craftversa

Post by Lucky Strike »

Stunning Nobby :drool:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Nobby wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 am Here are a few images of the Craftversa that has just arrived here....rods are hard to photograph...let alone one with over six feet long sections....
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

I've mentioned the apparently 'cut and paste' Craftversa transfer elsewhere....so far we have yet to find a rod that doesn't have this. Extraordinary...after ten years of searching we make a discovery like that!

I also notice the rod's serial number, as 'painted' on in white...gains a number two at the end on the rod care card...for a two piece rod, perhaps?

The cork shive butt has just enough swelling to stop the lower reel band sliding off, but this is more noticeable on some other rods.

This rod has a simple 'spinning rod' type butt guide and all the stand off rings are blackened high bells types...each a different size. The tip eye is a small red glass insert type without any tubular section...just four wires soldered together.

The rod has a particularly light action with no floppiness apparent, just a slight droop when held horizontally....for 56 year old cane it's pretty good!
I note your rod carries the number 8812 mine has the number 8814 - the rod bag looks the same as yours - two stud fixings towards the bottom and a single tie at the top - no Milwards markings on the rod bag but the stopper is tied into the bag to fit straight into the bottom section.

I am sure you will enjoy getting out bank side for a few outings - it is indeed a fine rod.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh ta for that .... it seems the stopper tied to the bag is original then as that's three of them like it....I'd presumed it was done by a previous owner.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

So, how on earth did that turn up?

What a fabulous thing, well done Nobby and enjoy.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

So do we now think the rod design No is 881 and the number 2 makes it the second one made. It's possible that rod could have been presented to someone and never used. Nice find whatever.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is a stunning looking rod Nobby, in wonderful original condition! It always amazes me that these examples turn up occasionally and I always think where have been for all these years, superb!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

This is number on my Craftversa same popper bag as described earlier.
Bumble
ImageImage

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nobby wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 am Oh ta for that .... it seems the stopper tied to the bag is original then as that's three of them like it....I'd presumed it was done by a previous owner.
The tied-in stoppers seem to have been standard for Milwards at some point. My Floatcraft from the early 1960s has them. Black rubber stoppers with green waxed thread. The rod furniture is identical too except that the butt ring was aqualite lined. Sadly the black high bells are long gone.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thank-you for all your posts gentlemen.

So Bumble's transfer is the same...surely that clinches it...the transfers were a 'cut and paste' job! And what a long serial number it has on it..and a different handle and too...bit like the image Lucky Strike has.

I hadn't thought of the serial number giving further information Wal, perhaps Bumble's is is 918 and the eleventh Craftversa??? This time it's on the rod, not the card though. ???

And the tied in stopper is just as yours, Sean...black rubber zig-zaggy thing held with green cord.

Since the black chrome rubbs off so easilly I think this one here is unused then...the black is intact inside the eyes

I've lost track now...how many original Craftversas have now turned up? I can think of four....common as muck...there goes the value!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Leigh wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:54 pm
Harry H wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:04 pm This I think would be my dream rod so if we're the stars were to align and I actually find one what would be the likely price range?
Harry, we are currently in the zodiac sign of Pisces - The two fishes, you could be lucky.

Pisces.PNG
Two Fishes? If you do find a rod it'll likely be a Sealey!

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”