Floatrover ferrule replacement

The Milwards Rods forum.
Daltons
Ruffe

Floatrover ferrule replacement

Post by Daltons »

Hello folks
Hoping I can call on the wealth of experience constantly demonstrated on these pages?
Have aquired a reasonably good example of the above (no sets, mysterious shorter sections etc). However there is a 'knock' in the butt-to-middle section ferrule that I don't think anyone could live with so I'm planning to replace this and re-finish the rod (got a bit of time on my hands at the moment and am feeling maybe unjustifiably- confident as a so-far successful restore of a Chapman 500 is nearing completion).
However both male and female ferrule section are pinned. Is there a way of removing a ferrule so-fixed, or am I faced with the prospect of cutting both out and accepting a shorter finished product?
Your sage advice would be most gratefully received :Thumb:
Thanks in advance
Mike
"One thing we truly fish for is the occasion for self-congratulation" John Gierach - (The View From Rat Lake)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Floatrover ferrule replacement

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Just punch the pin in using something of a suitable size. A masonary nail or fine screwdriver ground down to a small enough diameter at the tip will do it. Some pins go right through the ferrule and can be pulled out from the other side once started. Others just need tapping in about 1mm to allow the ferrule to come off.
The knock you feel may just be the ferrule is loose on the cane and only held in place by the pin. Good luck..

Wal.

Daltons
Ruffe

Post by Daltons »

Many thanks Wal. Will give that a go.
Pretty sure the movement is internal i.e the male ferrule moving inside the female due to poor fit. They don't look like a pair, if you see what I mean.
Mike
"One thing we truly fish for is the occasion for self-congratulation" John Gierach - (The View From Rat Lake)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Ah, I see what you mean Mike, it was just a thought as sometimes it's quite hard to tell exactly where the knock is coming from.
Sometimes it's all three contact points and solving the two brass to cane ones can make a big difference.

Wal.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

My approach to the pin challenge (just dealt with four on a Marco Arun) is to use a micro drill and just drill out enough to move the ferrule off. I start the drill by hand to get purchase then use an electric drill.

I can’t tell you how many times I have been surprised, when faced with a ‘knocking rod’, that it was a loose ferrule and not a worn ferrule. In other words, just removing and re-gluing the ferrule solves the knock.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Daltons
Ruffe

Post by Daltons »

Righto, sir - won't discount that one just yet then :Thumb:

Daltons
Ruffe

Post by Daltons »

Folks
Further to this - would welcome any views on what colour the whipping were on the original Floatrover. The one I've aquired has an interesting mix of near-scarlet on the rod rings, and a darker red on the squillion intermediates (I guess the last refurb-er didn't fancy taking these on). Did, in fact, the original even have intermediate whippings? My research on the 'net has produced mixed results on this.
As before - indebted to all prepared to share their knowledge on this :Hat:
Many thanks
Mike

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Those on mine are brown.

Picture attached.Image

Caught a 3lbs 6ozcchub on mine on Monday morning 👍

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I should add that I don't know if those are the original whippings!

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”