My first decent Bream.

This forum is for discussing bream.
Rotrax
Rudd

My first decent Bream.

Post by Rotrax »

As a small boy - 11 years old - I had caught very small Bream from the pond on Tooting Bec Common, probably Silver Bream, at least that is what I was told they were. Quarter pounders tops!

Shortly after I saw a three pounder in a keepnet on the River Wey near Ripley. I was impressed! So big!

At twelve I was allowed to cycle, with two older schoolmates, to fish the Thames at Kingston's Canbury Gardens, by the power station outfall.

I lost my end tackle - I did not have much - so I scrounged a hook and freelined the biggest worm in my bait tin in the warm water of the outfall, hoping for a Perch.

I hooked and landed a Bream, it seemed as big as the Ripley one, to my eyes anyway.

When I think now about how I just swung it in using my two piece whole cane/solid glass pike rod, no landing net or finesse, I am amazed I got away with it.

It was my biggest fish by miles, I cycled home through the air, the wheels never touched the tarmac.................................

Fredline
Tench

Re: My first decent Bream.

Post by Fredline »

I know that feeling. I caught a big Perch in 1964 while fishing with a bunch of mates when we were all around the 12 year old mark. I was a celebrity for the rest of the day with requests of "Can I see your big perch?". The small keepnet was retrieved from the depths of the lake and the prize was nonchalantly displayed as if it was a regular occurence. The weight? An enormous 1lb 1oz.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”