Eels - having a comeback?

This forum is for discussing eels.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

Eels - having a comeback?

Post by RobGoodwin »

I think eels may be having a bit of a comeback - at least in my local East Midlands area - over the last 2-3 years. I have had a couple of decent eels from the Trent and Mersey canal whist fishing for perch on worm, and I have had a 3 lb 2 oz and a 2 lb 4 oz eel on small deadbaits intended for zander from the T and M too. Additionally, I have heard of several big eels coming from the Trent recently on fishmeal boilies to barbel anglers and on deadbait to zander anglers.

I remember watching a video of chap stroking an eel (head to tail) on an unhooking mat and with a piece of damp toweling over its head. It remained totally motionless and calm. When I tried to do this, my eel went mental, freed itself from the barbless hook with consumate ease and jumped back into the canal. Eels are not my favourite species but they have a fascinating life cycle and I have considerable respect for their tenacity and strength.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Eels - having a comeback?

Post by Santiago »

Good to hear, but I wouldn't get excited about big eels being a positive sign of a come back, as eels live very long lives and one's over a few pounds can be several decades old.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RobGoodwin
Minnow

Post by RobGoodwin »

Very good point that. I haven't seen a "bootlace" for a while come to think of it...

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

I've noticed good numbers of Eels in the Wallington. The Environment Agency do a fish survey every three years, the last was in 2018, they section off 100 metres with nets in two locations and electrofish them 3 times and measure/ record all fish caught. In the last survey they had 70 Eels in both areas varying in size from a few inches (glass Eels) to about 2ft most were bootlace sized so a good sign for the future, probably helped by the Eel ladder on the Weir towards the bottom end of the river.
IMG-20180822-WA0009.jpg.bbee34e3e8d52ce1ddf40b155cab3fa8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I have caught eels in 3 different locations in the last 18 months-more than at any time in the last 20 years.
When fishing as a boy/teen I didn't care for them much but now feel rather elated seeing them.
Let's hope their numbers are on the rise.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”