Is a change coming?

This forum is for discussing eels.
Hovis
Tench

Is a change coming?

Post by Hovis »

Back in 2009 the new eel regulations came into force with the aim of stopping the decline in the humble eel. A great deal of my professional life is taken up working on measures to protect and allow eels free access back to our water. The good news is that, as for the last 3 year, the numbers of elvers returning seems to be increasing although good data is particularly difficult to obtain. Are the measure working? Who knows at this stage but things are looking brighter now than they did.

He's a little link to some work colleagues showing some wonderful elvers.

I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Is a change coming?

Post by RBTraditional »

We’ve certainly noticed an increase in the number of eels caught on rod and line on the Kentish Rother, Beult and the marsh drains over the past few years after years of hardly seeing one.... great news, I love eels, such mysterious creatures.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Great news if it is a permanent upward trend :Thumb: I'd heard elver fishing was still going on in the Severn but that many of them weren't as usual bound for the table market and instead were heading to N Europe/ Scandinavia for restocking? Fascinating species in my book :Sun:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Let's all hope so! :wave:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Liphook wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:56 pm Great news if it is a permanent upward trend :Thumb: I'd heard elver fishing was still going on in the Severn but that many of them weren't as usual bound for the table market and instead were heading to N Europe/ Scandinavia for restocking? Fascinating species in my book :Sun:
There is still an active elver fishery with a % going on towards restocking efforts. Unfortunately the humble eel is now likely to be the most trafficked animal on the planet due to the demand from the Asian market. In fact during the elver run crime figures reduce >50% in the areas surrounding the fishery. Tell you a great deal about the individuals involved in this activity when done illegally.

Incidentally I was speaking to a netsman who targets silver and yellow eels and he has caught a few over 10lb from large reservoirs and he estimates his largest at nearer 15lb, mind we all know what fishermen are like.

Izaak Walton

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very interesting Hovis. Do you know what % are for restocking? I've always thought the elver harvest was a waste of a good food source as allowed to grow on adult eels are very nice when smoked and served with horseradish sauce. There was an aquaculture unit (from memory just north of Inverness ?) who had allegedly managed to successfully breed eels in captivity. It was all very secretive but got a mention in my studies at Aberdeen University. I don't know if it still operates?
A 10lb eel would be a sight to behold and a 15lber just amazing. No doubt you interested parties will have seen the long fin eels caught in NZ - incredible creatures!

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Liphook,

From memory no I can't remember the %. Full details for each of the measures for individual river basin districts (RBD) is outlines in a specific eel management plan. Detials below:

https://data.gov.uk/dataset/5dfb78cc-08 ... ment-plans

In terms of aquaculture, yes they are getting close. Much work has been put in to strive to achieve a complete life cycle in a controlled setting. The main issues seems to be triggering the females to mature and start egg production full. There are also many other issues and the nut is far from cracked. Most glass eels are exported and then grown on. English elvers being caught in a regulated fishery of dip nets are by far the most sought after due to the lower damage and significantly lower mortality rate. The french trawl (micro) for them whilst still at sea and most likely kill as many as they catch

Izaak Walton

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you Hovis :Hat:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Some very good and encouraging news - with regard to the illicit trade in eels going mainly to Asia - I think when this pandemic is controllable the ‘East’ surely will have so much to answer for - the continuation and the complete disregard towards some (probably all) of nature’s creatures beggars belief.

Well done Hovis and to all those trying to secure the Eels future prospects.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Good the hear some positive news about eels, fingers crossed for the future.

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”