Is a change coming?

This forum is for discussing eels.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Is a change coming?

Post by Hovis »

Firstly I've got no first hand experiance of the elver fishery so speak with no authority. Any instrument other than rod and line requires authorisation from the EA under SAFFA, section 27a. This includes the use of dip nets for elvers. I'd strongly suspect there is a limit in the numbers allocated, it makes no sense not to. I'm not sure if there is a quota, again I doubt it given the difficulty in regulating it. It's most likely controlled by restriction on the number if nets, their size and times they can be fished.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Troydog wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:36 pm I attended (skype) a meeting of the Wye Local Fisheries Group yesterday where it was confirmed that huge numbers of elvers are ascending both the Wye and the Severn, although no one could explain the abundance. The EA representative acknowledged the situation but added that no restrictions are in force. It sounds like a free for all at the moment....
It would be interesting to know if the C19 virus has made the activities of poachers who use banks of drift nets, too risky or unprofitable to pursue.
Circumstantial l know but it's a thought.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Hovis there is a small water called Bakers Pond on your Ravenfield Ticket that has produced at least one exceptionally large eel. Its fits the bill waters where large eels might be present ie once in the water they have great difficulty getting out and are thus unable to make their way back to the Sargasso Sea. Its surrounded by houses and I do not think you can night fish but is very secure,surrounded by a very high fence and access to the parking area is via a locked gate
Mark Davies

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Penninelad wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:14 pm Hovis there is a small water called Bakers Pond on your Ravenfield Ticket that has produced at least one exceptionally large eel. Its fits the bill waters where large eels might be present ie once in the water they have great difficulty getting out and are thus unable to make their way back to the Sargasso Sea. Its surrounded by houses and I do not think you can night fish but is very secure,surrounded by a very high fence and access to the parking area is via a locked gate
Yes Mark, I know the pond and it looks a good bet. Shll we set a date when all this is over?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

You could be right Kev D
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

We will fix a date as soon as we are able to do so. The pond also contains a good head of crucians and tench as well as the usual other species.
Mark Davies

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Great thread Hovis. I know little of the science behind these fascinating creatures, only the basics.

Story time.

I once spent a few days up at Blea Tarn trout fishing. When I finally came down the fells I went for a pint at the Langstrath Inn. There was an old timer sat at the bar, reckoned he’d never left Cumbria and only been out of the valley a handful of times. (Bizarrely enough, there was photograph of him in a frame on the wall of the bar behind his head as I spoke to him). Anyway, I told him that I’d been up to Blea Tarn,

“Oh aye, used to fill my basket up there, some good eating to be had out of that tarn, the trout fishing is good too if you know what you’re doing.”

“Oh, you weren’t eating the trout then?”

“Don’t care for trout, eels, big uns too.”

I’ve always meant to try for them up there, it’s rich in minnows. What always amazed me was the journey the eels had evidently made; Up the river Cocker, through Bassenthwaite Lake, up the river Derwent, through Derwent Water, up Lodore Falls, through Watendlath Tarn and finally up the fell becks to Blea Tarn.

Amazing, one day I’ll go eel fishing there, nothing like following a story told by a mysterious old man in a country pub.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Lovely story Scott. It's amazing what you can learn in a local! Looks like we have trodden similar paths in lakeland at some point

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Where I fish on the Marshes in both dykes/drains and small wide pond areas there are plenty of Rudd and the odd ones containing Carp. The one bait that certainly draws the fish in are Maggots. If you gradually feed maggot just before dusk and fish into the first darkness you are virtually guaranteed Eels and this is the case now as it has always been out there. You may wish to try this at some point in the future if you wish to check if Eels are present in your water. I will add that maggots are not the best bait for monsters but all Eel sizes take them and you should find out if all sizes are present.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Reminds me that years ago when just getting into fishing as a kid, I saw this chap trying to land what must have been a 5lb plus eel, whilst light line float roach fishing with maggot. He failed at netting it several times and on his last attempt the eel slipped the hook. This was on a small brick pond called Chappies in York. Apart from that one eel, I fished there regularly as a lad, but never saw anyone catch an eel or heard of anyone.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”