The eel debate

This forum is for discussing eels.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The eel debate

Post by Santiago »

JAA by sea baits I meant deadbait like sardines, but even really fresh ones will catch but not as many as fresh coarse fish. And of course, there are many exceptional catches using baits that eels don't normally take.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

During tench fishing trips over the past few weeks we have now caught numerous eels, upto just under 2 pounds, all caught on maggot and after dark, we are at the point were we have started switching to corn at dusk to avoid catching them because all except one have been deep hooked.
(fortunately we were only using size 14 hooks)
The one exception being an eel hooked on a small circle hook that was hooked in the lip.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

JAA

Post by JAA »

Santiago wrote:JAA by sea baits I meant deadbait like sardines, but even really fresh ones will catch but not as many as fresh coarse fish. And of course, there are many exceptional catches using baits that eels don't normally take.
Ah, misunderstood, my apologies. :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I should have been more clear!

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Lets take this in another direction- here is a joyful specimen caught in a two day session in which I was continuously awoken by 'boots' at night. This one really lifted my spirits and deserved to be celebrated as it is almost as old as me I guess!
DSCN0139 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Aquaerial wrote:Lets take this in another direction- here is a joyful specimen caught in a two day session in which I was continuously awoken by 'boots' at night. This one really lifted my spirits and deserved to be celebrated as it is almost as old as me I guess!
Well done, a 21 year old eel eh :Chuckle:

:Hat:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Northern Eel wrote:
Aquaerial wrote:Lets take this in another direction- here is a joyful specimen caught in a two day session in which I was continuously awoken by 'boots' at night. This one really lifted my spirits and deserved to be celebrated as it is almost as old as me I guess!
Well done, a 21 year old eel eh :Chuckle:

:Hat:
Been a hard life! :Thumb:
Aquaerial

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great fish! Reminds me that some of the bigger eels don't return to sea, they just get bigger and bigger, and some even claim that Nessy was an overly large eel!

And I'm regminded of the first eel that I ever saw when I was a boy back in the seventies . This old chap was maggot fishing for tench in this really small pond in York called Chappies that was council owned and was rather neglected. Anyways, there was a commotion around him so me and my mates ran over and there was this old chap trying to net an enormous eel, possibly a 5lber, but sadly his landing net was far too small, for one really needs to net big eels tail first so they swim backwards into the net. So after an epic battle watched by a dozen or so kids, the small hook hold came free, and the leviathan swam free. However, the sight of that eel made an impression on me, it was so huge and from such a tiny pond!

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

I used to think they were mostly trapped females which might still be true but nowadays one has to consider with such a continuous source of food they probably just like where they are...and why not?
Aquaerial

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”