AJD WALLIS WIZARD (SOLD)

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

AJD WALLIS WIZARD (SOLD)

Post by Bob Brookes »

At the Redditch Tackle Fair in May 2014 I prised off Andrew Davis a rod he had built for himself as I had fallen hopelessly in love with it. After I had bought it he frequently told me that he deeply regretted parting with it. Since then I have used it sparingly for grayling and for my crucian fishing. It has performed admirably and clearly capable of being tested more than I have done with it.

Now comes my dilemma. I have acquired 2 Aspindale Aero rods that are most likely going to be my 'go to' rods for crucian fishing, together with any grayling fish that I may do, which is very little. Not now being a 'collector' (although my wife may take issue with that!) I feel that I ought to sell the AJD Wallis Wizard. I have a project in the pipeline that could well do with financing and what I would get for the rod will cover that.

The rod is in the condition that I bought it, which is fabulous as you would expect from Andrew. By way of description I will put what Andrew wrote for me when I bought the rod.

"This rod I made for myself. The bamboo has been baked over an open flame to give a pleasing honey tone. Whipped in the finest Olive Green silk, this is a fine Wizard, hollow built with a compound taper.

The description on the rod is a 10th century Chinese fisherman's poem by Li Yu"
Dated: May 2014

If anyone is genuinely interested in buying a rod, which you would have to wait for if you were to order one new, at a price that is less, then please send me a PM. I will be attending Redditch this year so could bring it with me.

Meanwhile this is a picture of the rod doing what it was designed and bought for! :Hat:

Last edited by Bob Brookes on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Aitch
Pike

Re: AJD WALLIS WIZARD

Post by Aitch »

why not offer it back to Mr Davies.... he may want it back if he regretted selling it in the first place :Cool:
it's lovely rod... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Harry wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am why not offer it back to Mr Davies.... he may want it back if he regretted selling it in the first place :Cool:
it's lovely rod... :Hat:
5 years on and he has built the odd rod since then, Aich
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Hi friends,I was offered a similar rod by Andrew in 2012 for £200 but at the time I was buying a younger car and funds were low ,I now regret that chance which would have been ideal for my small river fishing.Reelmaker.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It's a fine looking rod! I'd definitely approach the builder first, you never know he might want it back or have a customer who would buy it and he's bound to know the current market value better than most

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I have waggled that rod in my kitchen! It's the most fabulous rod and cannot be described by words alone, it can only be truly appreciated in the hand and by actually seeing it in the flesh. Whoever buys this rod will own something very special indeed. I felt compelled to message Andrew having seen and handled it to congratulate him on producing such a remarkable fishing rod. Wow, what an opportunity to obtain one of Andrews fine creations without having to wait for a year or so and at an advantageous price (presumably!).
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Bob , if I were you I would keep the Wizard and sell the Aspindales .. Andrew's creations are all individual and exquisite creations much better than any factory produced rod . They incorporate the very finest Tonkin cane , silk thread , flor grade cork , modern adhesives and hand produced fittings . If it were not for the fact that I have literally only today obtained one of Andrew's Nottingham style Barbel / Chub rods I would snap your hand off fot the Wizard .....

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: AJD WALLIS WIZARD (SOLD)

Post by Bob Brookes »

The rod is now in the custody of a fellow TFF member. May the Wizard 's wand weave its magic for him, as it has for me.

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I would have been interested but didnt know it was for sale as its not in the 'for sale area'.
I thought it was a post about AJD rods!/

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

I paid £950-00 for a Kennet Perfection from Andrew, certainly the best buy I have ever purchased and worth every penny.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”