This ones for me!!

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Re: This ones for me!!

Post by Harry H »

What a beautiful rod and I like the shape of that handle,very comfy I bet :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Hang on a minute I thought Andrew was keeping it....did you make him an offer he couldn't refuse? :club: :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Well gentlemen, I took my Partridge of Redditch rod to Andrew to have the ferrule sorted, which he kindly
agreed to sort for me and to change the whipping for me. While there he showed me the rod and put it
together for me to have a waggle. As people know to their cost, me included, do not let a rod maker put a
rod in your hand when it's so sublime.
Anyways, I enquired as to whether it was for sale, it was, but I resisted the temptation to buy it.
I've always wanted a 3 piece whole cane butt rod and from the moment I left Andrew I regretted that decision
as the rod just felt right. A couple of weeks later I went to the Redditch fair and there it was, I still resisted
until the last knockings, then after telling the wife, not asking, telling her :Chuckle: :Chuckle I'm buying the rod to go with the
C/pin I'd just bought from Gary Mills, I bought the rod at what I consider a bargain price.
I collected my Partridge carp rod from Andrew on Wednesday and it is now just perfect, had the whippings changed
from Burgundy to Green with red tippets and he's done a first class job, brilliant. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to fish with the "Arun"yet, but no matter, just looking at it and having a waggle like we do,makes me happy.
And for what Andrew charged for the work on the Partridge rod, I feel I've got the bargains of the century.

ATB Macko

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

That is a fine looking rod. I wish you luck with it but if you find that you have tired of it I can give it I can give it a good home!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

When a rod builder makes a rod for himself it will be built without compromise and when the rod maker is as fastidious about detail as Andrew is you just know its going to be a real gem of a rod.
I did have a waggle of this rod at Redditch and I can only say sorry for any dribble I left on it after reluctantly handing it back.

Well done Macko. :Hat:

Wal.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Macko , if your Arun gives you as much pleasure as the one that Andrew built for me then you'll be in 7th heaven ... Indeed , Andrew used your rod on a days grayling fishing with myself and captured his PB fish ( see picture on his website )

Some might consider it heresy to say but I've waggled an Ogden Smith original version and far prefer Andrews model.. His attention to detail is unsurpassed...

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Well, finally took The Arun out for a bit of fresh air and to maybe catch a fish or two.
Trotting double maggot down towards an overhanging willow, the float dipped and I was in, playing
the fish which felt a good one, looking at and feeling the action of the rod and not really concentrating
on the hooked fish, I then began to ease the fish in, under the rod tip, I started to raise it for netting
and what I saw will haunt me forever, a monstrous Roach. Easy Lal, I said to myself, giving the fish a bit of line,
which i wouldn't normally do, the roach made one last effort to gain it's freedom, the line parted at the hook link.
It looked all of 3lb, I'll be back.
As a consolation, I then took a lovely brace of Perch. Love the action of the rod.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Shame about the Roach but a nice brace of Perch to compensate. The rod looks gorgeous :Thumb:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

It was the first time I used Reflo powerline as a hook link with a double grinner knot,to 5lb Sufix mainline,
it was the Reflo that broke at the junction of the knot. Has anybody else used this line as a h/link, and have
had the same problem.
I'll try loop to loop or use a micro swivel next.

ATB MACKO

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Just to let the gentlemen who contacted me about this rod, it is now SOLD.
The proud new owner is Pafpuff, I hope he gets a lot of pleasure using it.
To let you know how reluctant I was to sell it, I had one more waggle before
I left to meet up with Pafpuff and the wife said you don't have to sell it.
It was a pleasure to meet Paul, a real nice guy.

ATB MACKO

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”