Cardinal 66

The ABU Reels forum.
Crowquill
Stickleback

Cardinal 66

Post by Crowquill »

Hi all I recently purchased a 66 for my barbel fishing for when I need to cast further than I can with a pin (must learn to Wallis cast one day).After reading how good the drag was unfortunately mine is snatchy and was wondering how easy is it to strip down and replace the washers and would it be worth trying to source some carbontex ones. Cheers.. Chris

Duckett
Tench

Re: Cardinal 66

Post by Duckett »

I don’t know if this helps but I bought a 44 a few years ago that someone had previously stripped down and reassembled incorrectly. The drag didn’t work properly, which I discovered trying to load line!

I got a schematic, took apart what I needed to and put it together again. Many fixed spools are beyond my limited abilities but the 44 was ok.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Crowquill
Stickleback

Post by Crowquill »

Cheers looking inside doesn't seem too complicated the circlip at the end of the shaft looks fiddly to get off but I think I might give it a go .spoke to Jim's reels and it'll be 40pound labour plus the cost of the washers and when u add the postage it adds up to quite a tidy some .It was a eBay purchase for 60 pounds and it's pretty mint but it's over 40years old so the drag washers are bound to be a bit ropey.Can I expect a really smooth drag or am I expecting too much?thanks again...chris

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

My 44 works perfectly smoothly. I’ve used Jim’s for an ABU506 I was given new as a teenager in the 1970s, plus one my late Mum used for 30 years. The work they did in them was brilliant.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Crowquill
Stickleback

Post by Crowquill »

Thanks for the reply might try some graphite powder to see if that might improve the drag 🤞

Crowquill
Stickleback

Post by Crowquill »

Just an update tried graphite powder on the drag washers and it's made a big difference ,much smoother and no snatching .Try it out on some carp on a local water later this week 😁

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Great news, hope it works out well.

Phil

Crowquill
Stickleback

Post by Crowquill »

Cheers certainly was a cheap fix had a few barbel on it on the wye pre Christmas and had to really loosen the clutch and use a finger on the spool to play the fish looking forward to the new season back on the rivers 😀

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Drag washers being serviced is a complete strip down of the reel so would of come into the service cost of the total reel had I done it, £15 plus return postage is all I charge for any Cardinal from 1965 - 84. I mainly service Cardinal 54-55-57 reels having done over 350 in last 2 years but recently done many 44 and 66 reels, they seem to be making a big comeback into fishing. By the way for extra £2 I will replace the head bearings as I go.
If this is not appropriate to offer services and prices then I understand if admin remove this post :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I would highly recommend the above!! My 66s were done a few years ago and are still going strong.

It has reminded me - I have some more needing service.

Return to “ABU Reels”