44X

The ABU Reels forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

44X

Post by Gilbert »

i have 2 ABU 44Xs marked "made in Sweden" but with no date stamp. both genuine purchased direct from ABU Scotland .

do these have a value ? any comments?

Aitch
Pike

Re: 44X

Post by Aitch »

Abu444a's go well on THAT website... they go for £60 - £80
They were mostly made in the late 60's- 70's
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A lot of these reels were being made from parts. The 33 was the most popular due to its high resale price.
The Suveran was another reel being made from parts.

However I believe ABU re released a limited number of both a couple of years back. Aimed at collectors and may not have date stamps, this could be your 44x reels.

Wal.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

The 44X's if in mint condition can go for about £150, used moderate condition £100, poor £75. (With spare spools and boxes)
44's go for about £20-30 cheaper.

Remembering that the seller will be charged about 25% commission this bring the true selling, off line, value to about 120, 75, 50.

If you have one in better condition, I might be interested please.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Wallys-cast is near the mark
when production ceased . i phoned ABU and had 2 built from the parts bin , these are they, so they are certainly near to the end of the line .
they are both in good used nick always cased , and smooth as silk.no documentation or boxes now tho'

i have 4 others .they were always used turn and about so none ever experienced excessive wear , and none have had any replacement parts fitted .

i have no wish to sell , but of course everything has it's price !

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Great reels but this is sounding like a tender or blind auction which in my experience can be a source
of contention and best left to that other website.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Gilbert wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:13 pm Wallys-cast is near the mark
when production ceased . i phoned ABU and had 2 built from the parts bin , these are they, so they are certainly near to the end of the line .
they are both in good used nick always cased , and smooth as silk.no documentation or boxes now tho'

i have 4 others .they were always used turn and about so none ever experienced excessive wear , and none have had any replacement parts fitted .

That's most interesting. Can you remember the year you phoned and which office? If you ever decide to sell please let me know.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I bought one recently for a reasonable price. It was bundled with an early Ambidex which was what I really was after and had been described to me as a 44, no mention of the 'X' Express. The reel is a genuine ABU Sweden model but it wobbled really badly when being wound which may be the reason why it only had a short production run. I ended up putting a lump of lead inside the rotor to balance it up.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Greenwells Glory wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:25 pm

That's most interesting. Can you remember the year you phoned and which office? If you ever decide to sell please let me know.
when did production cease ? 1976??

anyway i went to my local shop to buy a pair and was told "no chance" . i phoned ABU and they confirmed that and after some arm twisting agreed to build a pair . i think ABU were in Edinburgh . ... Scotland definitely
so.......... post production , probably within a year of the end .

getting on in years , like many of us , so while i have no wish to separate my 6 , my ability to use them is diminishing so , yes i will let you know if only because they should be used . you may have to hold your breath for a while . they have been my F/W companions for 45 years now and when i part with them it will mark the end of an era for me .....................and my original post had nowt to do with looking to sell them . when it happens they will go as a possibly unique pair .

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Gilbert wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:58 am
Greenwells Glory wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:25 pm

when did production cease ? 1976??

anyway i went to my local shop to buy a pair and was told "no chance" . i phoned ABU and they confirmed that and after some arm twisting agreed to build a pair . i think ABU were in Edinburgh . ... Scotland definitely
so.......... post production , probably within a year of the end .

getting on in years , like many of us , so while i have no wish to separate my 6 , my ability to use them is diminishing so , yes i will let you know if only because they should be used . you may have to hold your breath for a while . they have been my F/W companions for 45 years now and when i part with them it will mark the end of an era for me .....................and my original post had nowt to do with looking to sell them . when it happens they will go as a possibly unique pair .
Thanks for that Gilbert, most illuminating. Fair play to you and YES hold on to them for as long as possible. I use reels from the 50s and it would mark the end of an era for me too.

Return to “ABU Reels”