Abu 54 - the big o-ring!

The ABU Reels forum.
WallisWizard
Stickleback

Abu 54 - the big o-ring!

Post by WallisWizard »

Hello all

My first post, this is a forum I've often read but admittedly rarely had need to post to.

Hopefully one of you can help me. I have a Cardinal 54 that I was given long ago. I've replaced numerous parts on it over time where the original bits had worn out, and I'm trying to get it back to a "complete" reel. Which is tricky, because from what I can see it's a 79 reel, with a noisy ratchet, and "drag bits" that appear to be from a later model or perhaps a 154. Either way I've seen about 4 different schematics for the 54, none of them the same, and none of them quite match up to my reel!

Anyway, one part I'd quite like to fit is the larger o-ring that fits between the body and the rotor. It's part 11471. It *is* available, but £1 for the part and £10+ for postage from America seems a little extreme for an o-ring.

Does anybody know what size the o-ring is exactly? I could measure the reel I guess, and guess, but it would be nice to get it spot on if I can, and I suspect there are generic o-rings out there that are the same size.

Ta!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Abu 54 - the big o-ring!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have no idea of the size you require but I bought one of these sets years ago and they have been very very useful over the years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/419-pcs-Rubb ... SwfIxfVkbE

I have no association with this buyer, link is just to show aproximate prices today. They are available online and in motor factors and plumbing stores almost everywhere.

Wal.

WallisWizard
Stickleback

Post by WallisWizard »

Yeah it might end up me going that way. Still cheaper than one o-ring from America :)!!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

A larger 'O' ring can have a section cut out of it and the ends joined with Superglue. Obviously the diameter of the rubber section has to be correct too.

WallisWizard
Stickleback

Post by WallisWizard »

OK noted, thank you.

Meanwhile tonight I've stripped down my beloved 501 and that's also getting a few new parts. No o-rings worth worrying about in that reel, thankfully!

2 reels down.... oh so many to go.....!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You might try Jim's Reel Shop. He carries lots of Abu parts.

https://jimsreelshop.co.uk/epages/50de3 ... tegories/8

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The O ring for the neck of the housing is around 38mm outside diameter and approx 36mm inside diameter.

Hope this helps
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”