Abu 44x

The ABU Reels forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Abu 44x

Post by Gilbert »

i have a total of 6 44Xs all bar one bought new by myself . the odd one out i bought from a car boot sale for £12 around 1990.

i am not a collector , but back in the day my reels got a lot of use , and the idea was to rotate their use thereby keeping them all in decent nick.
the last two , i bought when production of the green body reels ceased in 1977 or thereabouts . i got Abu to build me two from parts . i don't know if they actually did , but two reels came with papers and boxes .
i did have a pair of 44s as well , but my son borrowed one ,and another 44X and that was the last i saw of them.
so i have 6 reels , all in good nick with minimal paint chipping having always lived in reel bags . i think one , possibly two - i would need to check ,are rare short production models , i will have to get the four that are currently furloughed down from the loft to check the dates ,the two in use at the moment are a '73 and a '76 , the older one being the sweetest --well maybe not now as i have just given the '76 a service .

i will check them all and if any of them are of special interest i will post up some pics . a pal of mine who owns a tackle shop has one brand new boxed example and would really like mine to join it in his "treasures" display . he's gonna have a long wait.............
Last edited by Gilbert on Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Abu 44x

Post by Aitch »

I have three Abu444a's, they are used with my Sharpe's carp rods... 2 of them are in very good condition and the other is a tad scruffier with paint loss associated with being used since new (ish) having owned it since 1980... I managed to drop one of the newer ones and it is at Jims Reel Shop being repaired
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Had a 44X or was it a 66X, in about 1970's, my pride and joy. Was fishing an old pit which was being filled in with rubbish - trollies, settee's, rubble and for some reason it dropped off my rod, and into the water, which was about 6 feet at the edge. Of course the reel got lodged/trapped, and in pulling the line to pull out the reel, it broke.

If anyone wants the Grid reference and has a metal detector I can send it, although said reel might have Aluminium rot by now. Things that you regret losing eh !

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had the above but caught the reel and still have it. The rod slid down the line disappearing into the river - a solid glass ledger rod. So no loss there!!

The reel is an Ambidex left to me by an old angler whose fish I used to net as he was not 100% on his pins for climbing down the bank.

Return to “ABU Reels”