Cardinal 66 with braid

The ABU Reels forum.
Redtag
Stickleback

Cardinal 66 with braid

Post by Redtag »

Hi folks! Does any of you have any experience or observations on using braid on an ABU Cardinal 66. My concern (possibly misplaced) is that the braid may damage the line guide or other part of the bail arm. It may be appropriate to mention that this is for lure fishing in the sea for pollack, coalfish and bass - previously my 66's have been used only in freshwater, and the use of braid has not been necessary.

As a supplementary question, can anyone comment on the effectiveness of the drag in the saltwater situation?

Many thanks in advance!

Rutilus
Roach

Re: Cardinal 66 with braid

Post by Rutilus »

I've used braid on both Mitchells and Abu 55s with no ill effects on the reel whatsoever so doubt you will have a problem. Just remember to rinse well in freshwater after use though!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Aren't the 66 & 77s saltwater proof? Still would clean them though!

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Personally I would not use braid in the sea, especially if you are fishing near rocks or rough ground it is not very abrasion resistant mono is far superior in that department. I had used braid for float fishing for wrasse in the past and the line was wrecked which resulted in a lost fish, also I believe the 66 is saltwater proof just clean in a bucket of freshwater or under tap after use.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:18 pm Personally I would not use braid in the sea, especially if you are fishing near rocks or rough ground it is not very abrasion resistant mono is far superior in that department. I had used braid for float fishing for wrasse in the past and the line was wrecked which resulted in a lost fish, also I believe the 66 is saltwater proof just clean in a bucket of freshwater or under tap after use.
Out of interest where you using 4 strand or eight strand braid? I’ve been using Sunline 8 strand combined with a fluorocarbon leader for about 6 years now for all my lure fishing and have never had a problem with abrasion even if I’m fishing a reef or a rocky area. The best 8 strand from Japan is expensive but it seems much more resistant.

I’m with you on float fishing at sea though. I stick to mono and a fluorocarbon leader.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Redtag
Stickleback

Post by Redtag »

Thanks for your replies so far, chaps, I appreciate you taking the time. I feel that ABU quality is likely to handle braid, but really wanted to check whether anyone had experienced any problems. Thanks again and Tight Lines.

Return to “ABU Reels”